We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking a memory foam bed topper on plane

south wales
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
taking a memory foam bed topper on plane

I have disabilities due to various problems and most mattresses are unsuitable due to spine problems ,so when I travel anywhere in the uk my memory foam mattress topper comes with me . I am planning to go abroad this year , am I allowed to take it on the plane and how do I check it in would it be as extra luggage ? I have found one that rolls up in a neat bag but I don't think its small enough to go as hand luggage , also it maybe in the bag to start with but whether it will fold up that small again is doubtful :) Advise desperately needed please.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking a memory foam bed topper on plane

I'd say it's got to got in the hold (size, weight) And the only way to get it down in size may be to take a sealer bag - the sort you vacuum the air out of - put it into the bag then sit on it to force out as much air as possble and shirnk the topper as mcuh as you can. Trial runs definitely required!

I have problems with beds too - I took a powered airbed on a 2-week tour of Rajasthan! But it was worth the hassle, to have a good bed every night.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,982 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking a memory foam bed topper on plane

My wife uses a Therma Rest self inflating camping mat on our travels to soften the over-hard mattress you often find in Mediterranean countries.

It was not cheap but works well for her. It backs into a small bag so doesn't take up excessive case space.

Cotswold Camping and other similar stores have a large range http://tinyurl.com/CotswoldCampMats

Edited: 31 January 2014, 12:42
London, England
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taking a memory foam bed topper on plane

I would contact the airline as you are allowed to take special equipment FOC as a disabled person. You may need a letter from your doctor, but that should be easy enough for you to obtain.

Stoke
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taking a memory foam bed topper on plane

Just come back from Spain and I took mine which I brought for £20 from ace foam put it in one of these vacuum bags then put it in my case its weight 5 kg travelled with Jet 2 so could take 22 kg no problem.

5. Re: taking a memory foam bed topper on plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions