We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets, scammers,etc in Paris

North Battleford...
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpockets, scammers,etc in Paris

My wife and I are going to be in Paris at the beginning of June, she is disabled and either is on crutches or in a wheelchair. She wants to get some pictures of the popular sights as this is a once in a lifetime type trip, so we will be bringing a fairly expensive camera. Will we be a stand out target for anything? I was thinking of getting a cable lock like the kind you can put on a suitcase, just a small one but hopefully not noticeable enough to call attention to the area. Does anyone have any tips for disabled persons regarding the pickpockets,scammers, etc?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets, scammers,etc in Paris

No experience of Paris but have travelled quite a lot, be aware of surroundings and people wear a bag across your body with the catch turned into you, If you can somehow take the picture with the strap around you arm I would I would also wear the Camera under a light jacket or something similar.

Ironically I have never been robbed on a trip but in my home city of London many years ago, but that has made me so conscious of people and surroundings now that the loss of £80 was a lesson well learnt!

And in case of worse the worse happens make sure you have travel insurance that covers your camera, at the end of the day it is not worth putting up a struggle and maybe getting hurt to protect an object,

I would also post on the Paris forum and ask.

Have a great safe trip.

Deb

Edited: 23 April 2014, 08:06
London, England
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets, scammers,etc in Paris

I agree with Seska. Just be aware of your surroundings and wear a across the body bag. I have a large bag that weighs nothing at all made from parachute material and use it when I need to carry a lot of things.

I travel to France at least 3 or 4 times a year and never feel unsafe, although we are not in Paris.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets, scammers,etc in Paris

Just make it inconvenient for thieves to get to the camera and you'll be fine. No one is going to knock you down and snatch a camera because it calls attention to the crime and thus the perpetrator. If you leave your camera lying on a table in a cafe or under your chair in area with pickpockets, then don't be surprised if it "walks off." I use a wheelchair and roamed around Paris with an iPhone in my hand most of the time and no one tried to snatch it. I wouldn't leave it out though.

4. Re: Pickpockets, scammers,etc in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:15