We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antarctica for free by cruise ship job?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
27 reviews
Antarctica for free by cruise ship job?

1st, thanks to the TA Staff for putting up this forum! :-)

I am looking to travel to the southern most continent of the world and don't want to pay a dime to go, before you start laughing here is my plan. I am looking for leads or advice as to getting a job on one of the cruise ships that goes, I am American, i have former military experience, firefighting experience, i bartend, i have personal training certification, i speak English and Spanish with a decent knowledge of Russian, Japanese, and Italian as well. This is what I have now, in 3 years I will have my RN and be a nurse. So i'm hoping to get a job probably on a cruise ship, advice on this? Secondly, there is of course the danger i could get the job and be forced to stay on the ship? Again advice?

Ohio, USA
2 posts
1. Re: Antarctica for free by cruise ship job?

If you are serious about going to Antarctica, take a look at http://www.rayjobs.com/. Raytheon is the major contractor there for the NSF, providing all the servicess and facilities for the US scientific expeditions. They have seasonal positions available in Antarctica every year.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
330 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Antarctica for free by cruise ship job?

I strongly believe that the fewer people that go the better- it is a hostile and dangerous environment that needs protection and certainly can not to be treated as a playground for tourists and gung-ho oil prospectors.

3. Re: Antarctica for free by cruise ship job?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 10:20