We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antarctica

Levin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Antarctica

My husband and I are New Zealanders, we are planning a trip to South America in Dec 2011 - Jan 2012. We intend to include a trip to Antarctica whilst there. Does anyone have any recommendations re: cruises / tours / ships.... Would really appreciate some suggestions & sharing of stories by others...

Paddy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antarctica

Hi Paddy

I'm going on a trip to Antarctica in about a month. When planning my trip, I found a lot of useful information in the Antarctic Adventures forum:http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i12337-Antarctic_Adventures.html

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Antarctica

A couple of threads you may find useful are;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g312855-i6870-k3…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g312855-i6870-k3…

Levin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antarctica

Cheers, thanks for that

Paddy

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Antarctica

I went to Antarctica last year on the Orlova. I think she is not running this season, but it was operated by Quark Expeditions, and they did a fantastic job. The guides were all absolutely phenomenal! The boat itself was a little tired, but certainly comfortable.

I booked with a company named Adventure Life because they had several options to choose from. I was able to pick the boat that had all the stuff I wanted - including camping and kayaking. I HIGHLY recommend kayaking if you have the opportunity. We were able to get away from the group and experience things that no one else on our boat got to do. We kayaked among ice bergs, penguins, seals, and even whales. Nothing compares to kayaking with a whale swimming just feet away! My only wish was that I had chosen a smaller boat. We had about 100 passengers, and I think a boat with 50 - 75 would have been ideal. Whatever you choose, you will love Antarctica. I went at the end of November, which was great because we were some of the first travelers on the sites. There was still lots of ice and snow, making for some spectacular scenery!

I am thinking about another trip with Adventure Life to the Arctic for next season, but I am afraid that after going to Antarctica, the rest of my trips will be a letdown!

Levin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antarctica

Hi,

Thank you for that fabulous informative information. We are so looking forward to the trip. Adventure Life seem very helpful - i have had discussions with them already. We have looked at a trip 14 days that will take us to the Antarctic Circle over Xmas & New Yr with Gap Adventures on MS Expedition. Looks like us!!!

I can imagine how wonderful a trip it is......kayaking with whales : what an experience.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antarctica

Hi

You can also find lots of fellow travellers and advice on TA's sister site cruise critic which has a specific for Antarctica.

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

If this link doesnt take you direct to the Antarctica forum and only to the main list of forums - scroll down to "Ports of call - shore excursions" and you will see a link to Antarctica in there.

I have just returned from a month on the Kapitan Khlebnikov with Quark - crossing the Weddell Sea and visiting the continent and Sandwich Islands and Sth Georgia Island. Cannot begin to describe how brilliant it was.

Levin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antarctica

Thank you for that information, I found it very helpful. Its so amazing to read stories of fellow travellers to Antarctica. I also read your post about your 'trip of a lifetime' - I gather it was worth every cent..... Well done, just awesome.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antarctica

I just returned in late Dec 2010 from an Antarctic trip with Quark on the Ocean Nova. I am blogging about our entire voyage ... if you are interested, you can read about it here:

http://holyfstop.com

Levin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antarctica

Hello,

Thank you so much for answering my forum. We read your blog! The information is most helpful. I take note of the rough seas; not that enthused about them but will be certain to take some seasickness remedies; I take it the phenergan worked a treat!!!! Your information re: flying to Ushuaia is helpful, I have also heard less than impressive information about the flights / lost luggage/ cancelled flights /etc. I agree with you: re: getting there a couple of days earlier & will hope for the woman with no interest in luggage weights etc. And will choose to put as much as possible in pockets & a camera or two around the neck trick. Where did you stay in Ushuaia? Your photos are amazing, I hope we are as fortunate to see the magnificent wildlife. Plus you have a great sense of humor, the only way to go when faced with delays & rather uninterested attendants.

Thank you so much,

Cheers...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antarctica

Hi PaddyNewZealand,

Glad I could help a bit. I am still writing up more of my trip and I think I will have at least 25 posts by the time I am done. There was that much to see and do!

We stayed at Hotel Los Nires in Ushuaia. It was chosen by Quark Expeditions... it was a bit out of town but it was comfortable. if it were up to me, I would have stayed in town, but I have no complaints about the hotel.

Take care and all the best,

NomadicCanuck

http://holyfstop.com

Get answers to your questions