We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

major cruise lines for antarctica

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
major cruise lines for antarctica

Hello I like to ask . Does any one know if the regular cruise lines ? like Norweigan or Carnaval or anyone does Antarctic cruises at all?

Anyone know a list of other cruise lines for Antarctica?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: major cruise lines for antarctica

I'm sure they do. Why not check their websites or ask on the Cruise Critic forum?

I've used Hurtigruten (a Norwegian line).

Be aware that there are restrictions on the number of passengers that can be allowed ashore from cruise ships. EG - I think if there are more than 500 passengers onboard, you can't land!

On smaller ships, which can take passengers ashore, there are restrictions as to how many at once in some areas. EG, no more than 100 at the same time.

On my trip, I met a couple that had done about 100+ cruises and this one was one of the very best, in their eyes. They had been twice before to Antarctica on big cruise ships, and said not being allowed ashore was like going to the best restaurant in the world, but only being allowed to read the menu!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: major cruise lines for antarctica

Fortunately for Antarctica the majority of the "regular" (aka large") cruise lines will be affected by the fuel bans so we will see less and less of them down there - improving the environment tenfold.

www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3828

Wilson, North...
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: major cruise lines for antarctica

I am booked on the Silversea Silver Explorer in January. The ship holds 130 passengers. We hope for lots of zodiac landings.

Idaho
Level Contributor
5 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: major cruise lines for antarctica

Most regular cruise companies do not go into Antarctic waters since their ships are not ice rated and cannot handle any ice conditions. Plus, with so many people they cannot do shore excursions, as the ships are limited in the number of people they can put ashore at any one time.

Check out Expeditiontrips.com for a wide range of cruises to Antarctica.

Whichever company you go with, I know you will have a great time! It is a trip of a lifetime!!

5. Re: major cruise lines for antarctica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2012, 10:17