We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

We are beginning our planning and one of friends made a rather sweeping statement....."If you don't visit the Falklands and South Georgia it's not worth going to Antartica." Would be interested in the thoughts of others. The cost of a National Geographic trip visiting all three is about twice the cost of just going to Antartica. Would be interested in the thoughts of seasoned visitors. When answering, please consider that while I'm careful with a dollar I can afford either option.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

I'd rephrase the statement: "If you're going to the Antarctic Peninsula, whilst you're in that part of the world, it makes a lot of sense to go to South Georgia at the same time."

Why go to South Georgia? - Simply for the amazing wildlife there.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

Yup agreed. The astounding amount of wildlife. The unfathomably stunning geography. And of course the history.

It's worth single solitary extra cent.

I went solely for the history and to stand at the grave of my hero.

I never expected the rest of it to blow me away like it did. Pleasantly surprised is a massive understatement.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

I was pondering your question myself a few months ago. I first set my heart upon just doing the classic Antarctica trip for 10/11 days, but then I started reading the Antarctic forums more and more and people were saying that, if you could afford it, then to do a trip that included South Georgia for the spectacular wildlife. In the end I figured that I may only ever visit the region once in my life, so I hopefully will do that longer trip for 20 days (that includes the Falkland Is. too) this year if my husband can get time off work to come with me. If not this year, then we shall definitely do the trip next year.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

Never mind the husband ! Just go !!!!!!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

Hey! I liked the Falklands so much, I moved here!! :-)

Seriously, at certain times of the year (eg, cruising season!), the wildlife in SG and FI is so abundant and unique, that it's like something from the African plains.

Countless penguins, and huge flocks of breeding albatrosses are probably the most spectacular, but there's also vast numbers seals, whales, dolphins, seabirds and so on.

It's like the The Galapogos , but a bit colder!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
248 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

We are considering the same question as David. How many days and how rough is the sea journey between Falklands and Antarctica? On the latter part of this question, we know that it is in the hands of Mother Nature, but we can't help thinking about it. Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

It's about 2 - 3 days sailing from the Falklands to South Georgia, and the same from SG to Antarctica.

The sea can be rough, or it can be calm. I saw it calm there. It shouldn't matter - the ships are designed for the conditions, and the crews experienced, but they can't change the weather, so there is little point in worrying about it.

My trip was hit by a hurricane between FI and Buenos Aires. It was fun - surfing the waves on a large ship. Better if you can get out of your cabin - it can be claustrophobic. But situations like that are rare. The captain gave everyone a certificate for enjoying a "Force 12" storm! :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

As Peterscot says - the Drake Passage is unpredictable - as is Mother Nature. But thats the fun and excitement of this type of voyage.

We had a "medium" range crossing from Ushuaia to the Peninsular but from the Riser Larsen coast to South Sandwhich Islands - the SSI to SGI it was fantastically wild and stormy with 40 to 50 degree rolls. Calmed a tiny bit between SGI and FI but still a lot of fabulous huge waves crashing over the bow - great photo opportunities !

Cairns
Level Contributor
91 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

You always regret the things you didn't do..... then the ones you did

Go.... do it, you will love it.

I wish we had tacked it onto our Antarctica trip (we did 11days on the peninsular and south of antarctic circle)

Oh well.... maybe the next trip to Antarctica ;)... already planning the next trip

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antarctica w/o Falklands and/or South Georgia

"You always regret the things you didn't do"

On our last night on the Fram, the Captain quoted Mark Twain - "In 20 years time, you won't remember the things you didn't do - but the things you did" (or something - you get the gist!)

Cast off the bow ropes! Raise the anchor! Sail away....