We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argentina Reciprocity Fee

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Argentina Reciprocity Fee

Just a friendly heads up I received from my travel agent:

If traveling to Argentina and a citizen of the U.S., Canada or Australia, you are now REQUIRED pay your Reciprocity Fee in advance online by following this link (unless you currently hold a passport with a valid reciprocity stamp):

https:/…Registro.aspx Once the payment is received via credit card, you will receive an electronic receipt, which must be shown to the customs agent when entering the country. If this proof of payment is not shown, you will be denied entry into Argentina, so it is imperative that you pay in advance and bring the receipt with you while traveling.

Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

Thank you anonymous, so many things to know when travelling.

Enjoy your trip.....

Edited: 05 October 2012, 23:03
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

My first posting on TripAdvisor, and I put it on the wrong thread, Anonymous! I answered you on the Countdown Thread instead of this one, about the reciprocity fee and the dates when the regulations change. Bon voyage!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

Anonymous, now we're having second thoughts about this. There is stuff on the Buenos Aires TA Travel Forums, but I don't really see any official Argentinian mention of the date it comes into effect. We are going to get our travel agent to check with our airline to see if they will prevent passengers from boarding who don't have the official receipt. I wonder how secure the website is where you have to pay. It's a lot of personal passport and credit card information they're asking for. Some years ago my cousin had his identity stolen when he had to do a similar payment to an eastern European country, and it was a terrible hassle, with police in multiple European countries involved! I think if we do pay on line, we will use a credit card we don't plan to take on our travels. When do you travel?

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

I paid last week and nothing has happened to me. The website had all the secure indications in the URL and upon checkout. It's my understanding that it is something you show in Argentina, not like the Australia visa you have to show at check in of your originating flight. I land on 11/5 and would be happy to let you know how it goes! I completely understand your concerns, but my agent has not let me astray thus far so I paid it. I'm from the US though, maybe Canada has a different timeline.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,546 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

Would love feedback when you return as yes the last time I did it - it was cash at the gate.

And durnit - I also did it when it was still a single entry fee too. About a month or so later they changed it to a 5 or 10 year one for Aussies ! I got dudded !!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

You've set a good example, Anonymous, and we will probably do the same. It does make sense to not have to wait in line (if there still is a line) to pay the fee. Are you going straight to Ushuaia? We leave BC on the November 1st, entering Argentina on the 3rd, and going to Ushuaia on the 4th. Perhaps we will meet up there! What a small world it is! Bon voyage!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
27 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

I am wondering if it is best to pay the fee in advance and bring the paperwork to Argentina or just stand in line when you arrive at the airport...

My wife and I are going to enter multiple times in December as we are touring around South America after going to Antartica.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

I thought the change meant you don't have the option to stand in line. They want the money BEFORE you travel.

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

Here is what is the guidelines posted on the US Embassy website say:

(I do not know if the rule for Canada or Australia differs)

NEW RECIPROCITY FEE FOR U.S. TOURIST OR BUSINESS VISITORS

Effective October 31, 2012 (Aeroparque) and December 28, 2012 (Ezeiza)

The National Immigration Agency (Dirección Nacional de Migraciones) has added a new form of payment of the reciprocity rate (visitor visa – rate for Americans of USD$160), through the Provincia Payment System. Until now, this fee was paid upon arrival at the airport (either Aeroparque or Ezeiza). Effective October 31, 2012 for arrivals to Aeroparque and effective December 28, 2012 for arrivals to Ezeiza International airport, all U.S. tourist or business visitors must pay the reciprocity rates (USD$160 for Americans) with their credit card through the on-line system. After these dates, cash payments will NOT be accepted at the airports.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
27 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Argentina Reciprocity Fee

I just got a scoop from my travel agent. Apparantly, on 12/27 is the last day you can pay with cash at the Buenos Aires airport. On 12/28 the fee must be paid in advance. The recommendation is to pay the Reciprocity Fee online.

Hope this helps everyone!