We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

Hi, I am booked on the Classic Antarctica tour with MV Ushuaia (via Antarpply) in early 2013. I was wondering if anyone who has traveled with them recently or even this year, could share their experience? Would love to hear any tips, stories, what to do or bring etc. Thanks!

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

Hi there

Just did the Classic S. Georgia trip with them 20 Nov - 09 Dec and it was great! The crew were really nice and gave interesting talks and the ship was a good size and comfortable too. Meals were very plentiful and overall of a good standard...you will certainly not go hungry! Cabins are on the basic side, but you have probably seen the pics anyway and are not expecting 5 star luxury. I found our B cabin on G Deck quite comfortable for the trip. Would certainly go with the company again, if I can do the Classic Antarctica trip one day! We packed basically what is rec'd on the Antarpply packing list - thermal underwear, long sleeved top, fleece and waterproof/windproof coat (parka) - tracksuit bottoms and waterproof pants on the bottom half. We hired good parkas from ''Jumping'' in Ushuaia (address on Antarpply info sheet) which were very good...a few others on the cruise said their hired coats were not so good from another supplier (sorry, do not know which it was). Boots we got on the ship to use on the trip. It's a good idea to take glove liners so that you can take off your big gloves to take photos (I didn't take any and would do next time) and something to cover your face with in case it's windy (scarf, balaclava, etc). I assume that the beginning of the year will be slightly warmer than late Nov...but you never know, as it could be windy and that brings the temp down a lot! Take lots of storage space for photos if you like photography...we took over 8,000 pics! A laptop and spare hard drive are good to take and it's good to make headway editing your pics while on at- sea days (providing the Drake Passage is not too bumpy!...we were lucky in that is was ''quite'' calm, but had 2 days of quite rough seas elsewhere. If you get seasick, remember to take tablets with you (although I saw people get them from the doc...I believe there will be a charge for these though). Any specific questions - feel free to ask! Have a great time!

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

Thanks a lot for all the info. As we get closer to the trip, I may you take you up on that offer with some more questions. Thx again!

NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

I don't know if you have gone already, but perhaps our experience would be of interest. --First, I don't want to knock the Ushuia. they rescued us in April 2012 when we were stuck in S. Georgia & the crew was very nice as was our cabin on the upper deck & the food was good. BUT, this ship does not do well in rough seas which, unfortunately, we had a lot of. Make sure you bring your seasick tablets. Also, the toilets are problematic to unusable in rough seas & in the lower deck cabins we were told that sewage was overflowing; several passengers in these cabins spent the evenings in the lounge to get away from the smell. In calm weather the decks are nice & the captain was good about visits to the bridge. The ship has a kind of beat, old-fashioned charm, but it does pitch & roll more than some other ships that travel these routes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

Just returned from a "Classic Antarctica" cruise aboard the MV Ushuaia. We departed on 20 Dec. 2013 and can report a very happy experience. The crew and staff ( they are different ) worked hard to meet all needs and ensure that the voyage was safe and enjoyable for all.

Food aboard was plentiful, varied and flavorful if somewhat uninspired. Salads and desserts led the way in imagination. The main protein tended to be in the Argentinian style, large chunks of meat, fish or poultry. Vegetables didn't often find their way to the tables. Drinks other than coffee, tea and water came at the regular bar prices but were served with both lunch and dinner. Breakfast was surprisingly consistent throughout the voyage, with scrambled eggs, bacon, oatmeal, fresh fruit, breads, fruit juices, sliced meats and cheeses and croissants every day and was augmented by daily special additions.

The only real community space aboard was the lounge area which was about large enough to hold 60 or so of the 82 passengers at a time. This space served as a meeting area, a bar, and a party room when the mood struck. Bar prices were not much different than we found in the town of Ushuaia. A cola could be had for $3 US and a beer (Quilmes - local lager) $4 US. Mixed drinks were also available, and while I didn't partake they seemed to be quite strong, I don't know the pricing but saw no one expressing any concern over them. Bottles of nice red wine, champagne and brand name liquors were also sold to those who desired them. The typical red wine was $40 US. An afternoon tea / snack was served in this room most day after the landings and consisted of cookies, breads, and crackers as well as various other items that changed day to day. Tea, coffee and water were also available 24 hours free of charge in this space. The fresh fruit basket never went empty and could be counted on for a bite that would stay down no matter what the sea conditions were.

The Expedition staff were all very knowledgeable and entertaining while ALWAYS keeping our safety and the environment in mind. They tried hard to ensure that the reason we were all there (the views and animals) were as available as possible to us within the limits of international agreements. I'll let others talk about the wonders of what we all saw, but will say that the trip exceeded my every expectation. All in, with charges to board our three pets, park the car, fly, stay in hotels, eat and all the other costs that come with this sort of a journey my wife and I spent about $22,000 USD. While it may take a while to save that much again, I would definitely do it all again. Even crossing the Drake Passage in gale force winds and 72 foot seas was an experience that I will come to enjoy telling about after enough time has passed for my stomach to settle. :-).

Stratford-on-Avon
Level Contributor
45 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

WOW, fantastic write-ups and really useful to me. I'm booked on Feb 22nd 2014, and it's all looking bl**dy exciting at this point, can't wait.

I seem to spend so much time on this forum and still I come back and find more to read and increase my excitement levels....

My baggage list is appalling, we are spending 2 weeks in the summer of South America before our trip and ski wear seems to take up half my bag!

Are there any problems taking anti-sea sickness medication through South American borders? Peru. Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile.

What is the best recommendation for a full day in Ushuaia before the trip? Don't really want a boat ride!

Thanks everyone.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

Thanks for reporting in Glen and glad to hear to had a great trip and a fabulous Drake experience (in my opinion !!).

I will add it to the trip report links over the weekend.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

An answer for Mark. We brought several types of medications along as we were unsure what problems we might encounter. No one ever asked a single question about them! We used the behind the ear patches we brought with us and for me (270 lbs) they worked OK, and not so well for my (105 lbs) wife. We also found that several of the passengers who were very badly affected by the, shall we say, rolling motion of the ship were able to receive very good treatment from the ship's doctor for no charge. A simple injection and 20 minutes had them feeling like having lunch again. Lesson learned here, you don't need to bring your own sea sickness meds.

My wife corrected me on the price of wine, it was $20USD, the Champagne was the $40 item.

One of the other commenters said that he heard the ship has sanitary problems in rough seas in the lower cabins. I can tell you having stayed in the lowest level of cabin in the roughest seas that none of those problems occurred during our journey and I doubt the accuracy of the statements altogether. The ship is old and rough around the edges, but well maintained and sturdy. The toilet system is designed to be ecologically sensitive and they do ask that you not over burden it with excess toilet tissue. They did say that if anyone used excessive amounts on any given flush that it could cause problems for the whole system for the better part of a day while they sorted it out, but that did not happen on our trip. I dare say that the same is true for my brand new house if the paper use was excessive there also.

I will try to answer any other questions that you have.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

About a day in Ushuaia. We passed on the train to the national park and were told by those who took it we had made a good decision. The town can be seen in a matter of hours on foot and I will say that for us the three best parts were, 1. The double decker bus tour, (departs on the Main Street across from the tourist info office at about 0900, fee was 60 Paso (about $10USD) each if I remember correctly. 2. The memorial to the "Malvinas" islands war. ( note that there is some lingering hostility about this issue). 3. The old prison / maritime museum, which in full disclosure I will admit that we did not go into, but nothing else that we say in town war rented a spot on such a lengthy list of sights...... Time spent drinking Quilmes seems well used as it is a very drinkable lager, and I don't drink beer!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

Yes the toilet paper issue is known through all the ships. On my trips aboard the KK - flushing paper was a no no and it was always well known who flushed as it was their cabin that bunked up followed by a bann on using the loos for several hours until it was all cleared and fixed.

Always baffled me why some people thought rules were not specifically for them !!!

When I read the previous reports I did assume this was the actual problem - passengers - not the actual ship !!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MV Ushuaia - Share your experience!!

Dare I ask how paper was disposed of if not flushed?