We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

Have anybody travelled on Ocean Diamond with Quark Expeditions ? What are your impressions (landings, food onboard, etc) ? I was looking for reviews online, but could not find anything specifically about this ship and company.

58 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

It would be hard to believe that you havent been able to find any feedback on Quark (or their sister company in Ausralia Peregrine) given they have been working in tourism in the polar regions for over 2 decades. A simple word search here and also on the Cruise Critic forum will find literally hundreds of posts by former passengers !

The OD - It's their newest ship this season so only a few people have reported in here so far.

If you check Quarks Facebook page there are a lot more people giving feedback there and someone posted a video your round the whole ship.

I initially thought it would be a bit too posh but that mans video shows its still all nice and casual and expedition-y.

I know a lot of the expedition team doing the OD season and they are loving the ship.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 07:50
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

We had a great trip on the Ocean Diamond from 30 November to 9 December 2012. You can check my travel blog at http://leggypeggy.com, or search on google for leggypeggy at wordpress.

Hope this helps.

New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

I just reviewed our trip on the Ocean Diamond on this forum in the the thread Quark Expeditions New Ship. There is another review there as well. If you have any questions, feel free to email them.

Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

I have just returned from an 11 day Antarctic cruise aboard the Ocean Diamond and I can't praise them enough. They were professional, informative and friendly. I felt like we were part of their family and they couldn't do enough for us. We had a good crossing Drake Passage both ways. Great opportunities for landings and zodian cruising on 5 days- the weather was with us! The rooms and food were amazingly good. Great wines available. Safety aspects fantastic. All guests were provided with a very warm parka and boots. Kept us warm and dry. A doctor amongst us 24/7 so no need to feel unwell or make an appointment. It was free and he was always available. Enough zodiacs for all passengers to go to land or cruising every day- once or twice! Any specific questions?

USA
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

I traveled on the Ocean Diamond with Quark in December 2012 and had an amazing time. Perfect weather, wonderful food, expert guides who truly love what they do. I can highly recommend Quark and if I ever return I will definitely use them again.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
60 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

We have just come back from Antarctic Explorer on Ocean Diamond and had a terrific time, very professional and friendly

With the recommended gear you hardly feel cold ever - have been colder in Europe! Its a wilderness experience unparalleled

Also carbon neutral

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

Just returned from the Quark Antarctic Crossing the Circle Expedition on The Ocean Diamond. The expedition was fantastic and sailing on the Ocean Diamond was a great experience. I had a single cabin on deck 3. The ship is extremely comfortable with large spaces, a club lounge, observation lounge, polar library and excellent restaurant with superb food in great variety. Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style and dinner is sit-down restaurant-like with a menu handed to each seated guest which is different each day featuring choices of two soups, two salads, three entrees and two or more deserts. You will love it.

8. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 17:05

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

Enough of the self promo - seriously ! Please read the posting terms and conditions.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions

I loved my trip on the Ocean Diamond. I read this thread before going so I'm happy to write my review now. It was just amazing! Antarctic is the most unique and unforgettable trip you can make. The ship is big and stable. I didn't feel the 180 passengers was an issue since we rarely see everyone at the same time.

The crew is passionate about what they do and the lectures are very interesting.

I did camping overnight and a polar plunge, it was fantastic. Other people did kayaking and skiing and loved it.

Food is great and we all took a few kg eating too much...

I highly recommend Quark and Ocean Diamond. I wrote about it in my blog www.1trip.fr

Reply to: Quark Expeditions / Ocean Diamond: looking for opinions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted