We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

TORONTO
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

we are planning a cruise on celebrity infinity from south america early next year. we have two choices, one that goes round the tip and ends/starts buenos aires /santiago...or one that is from buenos aires and goes to antarctica.

i am trying to get info about which would be the better choice. it seems like the antarctica one is a lot of cruising and scenery, but is it all the same kind of scenery. the other cruise stops at far more ports.

this will be a once in a lifetime experience and all comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. we live in toronto, canada.

i need help with weather, excursions, in fact anything that anybody can tell me would be great.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

At least on our ship they definitely gave us warning of the seas ahead of time. We were in for a rough go so they had to explain how eating was going to work since the dining room would be closed.

They strongly advised taking medication prior to leaving Ushuaia. I am sure the Infinity would do the same with so many people on board, they wouldn't want a legion of unhappy sick people!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

So did people perpetually pop pills for the entire Drake crossing?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,022 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

For the most part the genuinely afflicted ones stayed in their cabins until we got to the continent. We referred to them as the invisible folk as we didn't meet any of them for the first 3 days !

They were the ones requiring multiple doctor visits and shots per day.

The slightly hardier ones popped their pills and chewed their ginger and got about the ship ok.

The rest of us just got on with normal life.

It should be noted - this thread is about a full sized cruise ship so those of us who have done the Drake previously in icebreakers minus stabilizers and small expedition ships - experience a very different "ride" to a whopping big cruise ship (personally I feel no movement at all on them and often have to look outside to be reminded the thing is actually moving!!).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

For me it is a part of the experience.... not a pleasant one of course, but one that does pass as sea legs are gained. My understanding is that for the first half day of this voyage you will really be in protected waters. Once you hit the edges of the south sea you will likely quickly know if the passage will be "relatively" smooth or typical or rough. I suspect the crew is well acquainted with this ailment and has ample motivation to proactively deal with it. The passage will take 2 to 4 days depending on your ship's speed and weather conditions. Personally, when necessary I take diphenhydramine, usually an hour or so before the rough seas are expected. It will help you sleep as well.... if the rocking doesn't. More often than not, I don't take it until I know the effect of the motion of the particular boat and seas on my constitution. I have been in severe (50') seas and been fine and been sick in gently rolling conditions in protected waters.

Spennymoor, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

Why not consider cruising from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires VIA Antarctica on the HAL Zaandam. It takes 21 days and spends more time cruising along the Antarctic Peninsula than the Celebrity Infinity does. I have been on the Celebrity Infinity twice down to Antarctica already and the ship handles the Drake Passage extremely well. As we have not seen the Chilean Fjords and Glaciers we decided to do a "back to back" in 2014, sailing on the Zaandam on 8th January and then on the Infinity out of Buenos Aires on 2nd February. Although we are now retired and on only a modest pension,I feel that if we book inside cabins, and our own flights and hotels, we can enjoy more than one visit to this amazing place. I have no real problems about not being able to get off the ships and to land on the Peninsula as we can see a variety of penguins up close at Volunteer Point on the Falkland Islands and on Martillo Island in Ushuaia. I would rather go a number of times to the region than only once on an expedition ship which might experience bad weather/ sea conditions on a "one trip of a lifetime"

BLACKSTONE,MA
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

I am going feb 2015 and would like it if you post after your trip.

Thanks

Spennymoor, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

Hi, have you been on the Cruise Critic website?. There are Roll Calls for most of the large cruise ships trips that go down to Antarctica where passsengers try to arrange private excursions and usually a number of cruisers do leave reviews on the site after they come back. There will already be existing reviews of the cruises down there in the past, look for the Celebrity Infinity, Star Princess (no longer goes down to Antarctica) and the HAL Veendam and Zaandam

Manchester
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

Did you do the whole package with Celebrity or did you do your own transfers? From airport etc. I would love to talk to you about this trip as we are thinking of booking. How would that work?

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
29. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

Hi

My husband and I are doing this cruise next year, what would you recommend we take clothing wise?

Thanks

Spennymoor, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

We did our own thing when we did this same trip in 2011 and 2013. Flights are easy to arrange but don't leave booking them too late and transfer from the Airport to a Hotel /Port etc are also easy to sort out too. Just out of curiosity I checked on the Celebrity web site and the cost of the "Air Transportation" is £1,365 per person for 2015. For the flight earlier this year we paid just less than £700pp to fly to and from our local Airport, Newcastle via Paris with Air France.

When we fly next month to Santiago on Chile with KLM/Tam before joining the Zaandam in Valparaiso to go down to Antarctica on that ship, we return from Buenos Aires (after the cruise down to Antarctica on the Infinity) with Air France to Newcastle, the cost is £883pp. I note that Readers Offers Ltd are offering a package which includes a 2 night stay in Buenos Aires for a starting price of £3,499pp, when the cheapest inside cabin is £1,600pp. We are staying in a centrally located Hotel in Buenos Aires in between cruises for £50 per room per night, including a good breakfast (we stayed in the same Hotel this year) so we know what to expect). I also note that there is already a Roll Call on Cruise Critic for the Infinity's 2015 cruises down to Antarctica so that will be a useful source of information.

You may want to consider the HAL Zaandam as it sails down there too. Its 21 night cruise on 8th January 2014 from Valparaiso which ends in Buenos Aires has fallen by £700pp since we booked it and is now only £1,300 per person for the cheapest cabin, whereas the cost of the Infinity' s cabins have actually increased in price since we booked them. The Zaandam is spending more time down there, and is a smaller boat so can get into Bays/Coves that the Infinity may not be able to get to, so I am reserving my judgement on which one we will probably book with for 2015 until after we come back from both of those cruises.

Whichever cruise you chose, hopefully it will call in at the Falkland Islands and Ushuaia. If you like the idea of getting up close to penguins make sure you book a trip to Volunteer Point (as long as you do not suffer from a bad back that is) on the Falkland Islands to see 3 different types of Penguins, King, Gentoo and Magellanic, all in one area and/or go to Martillo Island with Pira Tours when you reach Ushuaia as only 20 people at a time are allowed to land on the Island, where there are Gentoo and Magellanic Penguins to walk amongst. Enjoy your cruising