We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

Hello, it is my first time to Antarctica(to conquer the 7th continent) and looking for a shorter cruise that will not take all of my vacation time. There is a trip through Quark on Sea Adventurer (used to be Clipper adventurer) that offers a sail south through the Drake Passage and fly back which I thought would be perfect so I can experience both and save time. Has anyone tried this? Any reviews on the trip and the boat? The boat seems more bare bones than the Natl Geo boat, but I hear it is good and less people. Also, I have read the camping is a highlight, however, my travel agent said kayaking is a highlight. Any comments on kayaking? Thanks!

Day 1 Ushuaia, Argentina

Day 2 Welcome to Ushuaia, Argentina

Day 3-4 Crossing the Drake Passage

Day 5-8 Antarctic Peninsula & South Shetland Islands

Day 9 Disembarkation & Fly to Punta Arenas

Day 10 Depart for Home Has anyone tried this trip?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

you should see my earlier post, reviewing our trip on the Adventurer with Quark.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12337-k6018764…

We liked the ship, good food, very comfortable. Had wanted to do the national geographic trip, but it was full. I would recommend quark to anyone.

The big thing to know about short trips is that weather can really affect your experience. On a longer trip, bad weather and a cancelled landing isn't that big a deal, but with only 8 landings missing a couple really sucks. We were fortunate but other folks on short trips had some bad luck. Still I recommend it but be aware you going to a difficult environment, and not everything will go as planned.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

Thanks for your message! I did enjoy your thorough review. A question for you...(the below trips are the only ones that work with my schedule)

Would you recommend a bigger ship (Ocean Diamond) going on a longer cruise being a 19 day Falkland, S. Georgia and Antarctica but having less time for the landings since the boat size is 189 ppl

Or

Sea adventurer doing a sail South through Drake and fly back with four days at Antarctica but in a smaller ship with more time on landings.

What was the age range on your boat?

Since I will be traveling solo my fear is that the Ocean Diamond may be age of 65 and older...and, 19 days on a boat too long?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

Why do you fear the OD will be 65 and older ? All its trips this past season ranged from 15 to 95 - as do most of Quarks trips. It also never carries 189 passengers. Take into account that the cabins also contain the hospitality staff and the expedition team members, then allow for the many people who pay the single supplement to have a solo cabin. It reduces the numbers of actual passengers aboard compared to the listed capacity.

The Antarctica traveller does not fit into any typical stereotype from my experience.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

not only big vessel, look at http://experenciaaustral.wordpress.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

I wanted to thank everyone for their help….I ended up going on the Quark Sea Spirit (100 passenger ship) in November for their 10 day trip sailing the Drake and having 5 days for Antarctic/Shetland. It was amazing!!! We lucked out with some of their best weather with sunny skies and in the 30's for every landing!! The waters were calm and we were able to kayak at every option….7times! The highlight was definitely kayaking and our group bonded so well we will be planning a trip this year together! I am so glad I chose to do the Drake Passage as it was a great experience. Perfectly Perth, you were correct about the travelers….my ship had great passengers (young and old) and my room mate who was 60 (from Australia) was fantastic and she actually convinced me to do the the polar plunge!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

Great to hear back from you and well done on the big plunge !!!!!

7. Re: Review on Quark's Sea Adventurer sailing south and fly north

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28