We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK insurance for trip cancellation costs

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
UK insurance for trip cancellation costs

I am travelling with Aurora on Polar Pioneer to South Georgia and Antarctica in January, disembarking at Falklands. I will meet my husband there (he has no desire to "do" Antarctica, silly man!) for a week's stay, and we then go on to Easter Island, followed by Chilean vineyards for a further 10 days.

As you can imagine, this is a pretty expensive trip (our Silver Wedding celebration), especially as I have "splurged" on single cabin occupancy - I have shared with strangers in the past, and prefer not to. Our Annual travel insurance policy have confirmed that they will cover all the medical and evacuation costs. Unfortunately their limit on cancellation costs are only a fraction of what we have paid. Additionally they would only pay £600 costs "missed departure" costs, should unforeseen travel delays cause me to miss the ship's departure (despite allowing what should be sufficient leeway in my travel days). This would not go far to cover my hotel and subsistence costs whilst waiting 17 days for my husband to arrive. They would pay for the flights to get me from Ushuaia to Port Stanley, but not for me to return to the UK and fly out again with my husband - assuming I could get a flight for that day!

Does anybody have a suggestion of a insurance company in the UK that would give us better cover for the trip cancellation, and missed departure, costs - as well as being adequate for the medical and evacuation concerns? Ours considers it to be 1 trip as we don't return to the UK, so their maximum is £5000 per person. That would be almost enough to cover the Falklands onwards part of the trip, but nothing towards the £17,000 I would have lost for the cruise.

Any ideas of a company that would allow a better policy for me would be much appreciated.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: UK insurance for trip cancellation costs

Crazy, isn't it? My trip is costing less than your $60,000 ones, PP but I am paying 10 times as much for the same insurance.

Are Brits that much more likely to cancel last minute? Bearing in mind that long expensive trips like these have often been planned for years, and are very special, I would have thought cancellation would be less likely, and only "in extremis", compared to a "standard" holiday.

My husband wants us to spend 3 months driving/flying the length of South America in 3 years time - goodness knows what insurance for that will cost, if we can even get it!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: UK insurance for trip cancellation costs

Scragger - I hope you enjoy the Cotswolds, and we have some decent weather for you. Whereabouts are you going? We live northeastern edge of the Cotswolds. Love where we live, but enjoy travelling too. So much else to see in the world.

We have had 3 separate 6 week trips to Australia over the last few years, but our son and family are back in UK now. We managed to see a lot of your wonderful country, but could have done with at least one more trip to pick up the areas we have not yet "done"!

Horsham, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: UK insurance for trip cancellation costs

Yes Catwoman, we love your part of your country, but we can;t seem to get past the Painswick area. Nothing set in concrete, but probably looking at some walks to Slad, Sheepscombe and Bibury.Do you live up near the Slaughters area? We are catching up with some lovely English couples that I met on my Antarctic trip. One young couple from Guildford were on their honeymoon.The Drake crossing was horrendously rough but we were having our doubts about the sea-sickness claims when they had their "Do not disturb" sign on their door for the entire 3 days of the crossing! Anyway, when we call in on them they will have a new addition to the family !

Your trip sounds fabulous, and you aren't missing a thing whist you are in the area. The Falklands are just fabulous, especially the wild-life.

Did the Travel Insurance to Australia cost as much as for your forthcoming tour Cat? Or is it extra costly because of the Antarctic aspect. It's not as if you are sailing to South Georgia in Shackleton's life-boat!

Have a wonderful Silver Anniversary !

Horsham, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: UK insurance for trip cancellation costs

And MLG Australia, I too got a quote from Covermore for about the same price as yours, but then went to good old AAMI whose quote for the same package was, as stated, $183.

Makes you wonder!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: UK insurance for trip cancellation costs

As the MD of Onestop4: insurance i'd like to know if you enjoyed your trip, thank you for your comments about our service, we really do try very hard to help everyone.

26. Re: UK insurance for trip cancellation costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 06:15