We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
224 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

We are not professional photographer. We just want to take some decent photos for our antarctic trip. would anyone suggest any good point and shoot waterproof camera during zodiac cruise?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

I take the Pentax WG1 and it suits my needs for fun wet zodiac shots tho it's buttons can be fiddly and it's menu is annoying.

Last night I had a play with a friends new Olympus Tough - tossing it in a pool to take self timer shots of her kids under water. The results were outstanding. So great that I may run out and buy one befor I fly in a couple of days. Crisp pure images and great colour. Even the wobbly shots by the kids themselves came out fantastic.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
224 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

Thanks for your suggestions. We will check out Olympic tough

London, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

have a read here - dpreview.com/reviews/2013-waterproof-roundup - they generally do fab and unbiased reviews.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,284 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

I used a Sony Cybershot DSC-TX20. Bought it as a back up and has now become my full time camera. Love the panorama and 3D functions.

USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

I am a DSLR shooter but I brought a small waterproof P&S with me to Antarctica to have ready in my pocket for very wet situations when I didn't have the big camera out. In preparation for our trip, I first tried out the Olympus Tough TG-1 and was not happy with the quality of the photos. Also, I thought the camera was too expensive for what it was (particularly since it didn't come with a battery charger). I returned it, and ultimately purchased the Nikon AW 100. I was very impressed with the image quality, and the camera made the trip with me. You can see a few of the photos that I shot with it here:

boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php…

A few caveats. I made these camera purchases in 2012; there are more recent versions of each on the market now. Also, my suggestion to anyone buying a camera is to play with it in a store first, and just see if it even feels right to you. Finally, the zoom on these little cameras is not that long, and you will miss a lot of wonderful images in Antarctica if you don't also take something with a longer lens. (It wasn't clear whether you mean this to be your only camera.)

Edited: 24 January 2014, 00:43
Michigan
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

We're happy with our Fuji. We went with one of the lower models, as it was always intended to be a secondary camera. Most of its use came while kayaking. We were fortunate that conditions were usually conducive to using our primary cameras while Zodiac cruising.

Asia
Level Contributor
222 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

I am in no way a serious photographer either, and bought a new bridge camera for my upcoming trip. Another low cost option to throw in the consideration mix.... for zodiacs, I am just using my smart phone with a waterproof holder, suggested be perfectly perth in another thread - I doubt it will give as good pictures as a proper camera, but I could not justify the expense of a new camera. I did lots of research, per the dpreview link above and had decided if I was going to buy one, to buy the Panasonic. One tip from a non-serious photographer, make sure you can see the LCD screen in the bright sunshine, my old point and shoot camera (Sony DSCTX7) takes great photos and I would have taken it on this trip, but it is impossible to see the screen in the sun, and is fully touch screen, so you cannot operate with gloves, so it would have been next to useless in Antarctica. Additional option, my travel partner just bought a GoPro and initial results look absolutely fantastic, I am glad that is coming along with us as well!

Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

I bought a Olympus tough for my trip next week. Have been practising with it since September. Size is great,

Macro shots just excellent,magic filter program is one I love playing with, the scenes mode has a wide range of options. Very easy for me to use, dunked it in a bucket of water, came out ok. The instructions say make sure it is locked before immersing in water but none of the compartments close properly unless it is locked.

4 times optical zoom. I had a professional photographer tell me it was an excellent choice for me. Fits nicely in the palm of my hand.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

I did a lot of research on this topic for the exact same reason - need a waterproof camera for Antarctica in February. I settled on the Olympus TG-2. It consistently came out on top, or close to, of all the reviews when comparing it to the other waterproof cameras. I also read a number of times that is one the only waterproof camera tested that took a really good underwater shot, without the green tinge that so many get. Having said that, I haven't used mine underwater yet, so I can't back that up. It is pretty expensive though, and something that many people don't like, is that you have to charge the battery in the camera. It doesn't come with an external battery charger. There are some non-olympus batteries, and battery chargers on the market though, and you will need a spare battery when in Antarctica, as the cold weather saps the charge. I got a brand called Betta Batt, and it works just fine.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any suggestions for point and shoot waterproof camera ?

No green or blue tinge on our little Fuji, as long as it is set to one of its several underwater modes. I think white balance may be among the settings that are changed. Of course the user has to remember to do so (and to switch it back when shooting above-the-surface).

I was not aware of Olympus's in-camera battery charging "preference". I wonder whether the intent is to minimize the number of times the camera's case is opened.

One problem I see with all the underwater point-and-shoot (or "aim and create", as one of our naturalists, CT, called them) cameras is difficulty avoiding touching the lens. So make sure to have a cloth at-the-ready to keep it clean.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 13:22