We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

triple cabin

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
28 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
triple cabin

does anyone know of an antarctic vessel that has triple cabins. We have an 11 yr old and really dont want to both pay extra and spilt the family.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: triple cabin

Many of the expedition ships have triple or quad cabins. The M/S Expedition, the Sea Spirit, the Ocean Diamond to name just three. Have a look at expeditiontrips.com for a selection of Antarctic expeditions to see what's available and the pricing (which varies a lot according to the itinerary and the standard of ship).

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
446 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: triple cabin

We (the two of us) stayed in a triple cabin on the Sea Explorer. We had two twins pushed together, and there was another sofa where a third bed could be. The room was very comfortable and could more than accommodate three people. There was, I believe, 235 square feet, arranged very efficiently. The Sea Spirit is a sister ship, so I'm thinking this may also be true for them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: triple cabin

In our research both One Ocean's Ioffe and Vavilov have triple cabins.

Our party of three are booked with them for 2015

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
139 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: triple cabin

National Geographic Explorer also has a couple of triple cabins.

London, United...
Level Contributor
563 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: triple cabin

I'd also check age limitations out. I seem to recall a couple of ships have an over 18 only policy. I do know that the MS Expedition and Nat Geo Explorer are both child-friendly.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: triple cabin

There were several families of three on our December expedition.

expeditions.com/why-us/…

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: triple cabin

Just as not every adult would enjoy such a trip, neither would every 11-year-old.

There can be quite long spells between anything happening, which the better ships fill in with interesting lectures. Whether your child would be interested in these, I don't know.

I was on a cruise where one family tried to do a large jigsaw in the lounge. After about 2 days, only the parents would do it. The kids stuck to their games consoles.... I don't remember them ever looking out of the windows.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: triple cabin

But they were all together as a family.

Antarctica probably isn't the best adventure vacation for kids. Best to build up to it.

Our kids benefited from a great collection of kids their age on our cruise. At about the time they're reaching the level of maturity to enjoy such a trip, they're branching out socially and no longer dependent on mom and dad or siblings for company.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,213 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: triple cabin

Quark ships all have triples but from memory their age limit is 14 or 15.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: triple cabin

We just got off the Sea Adventurer, a Quark ship. They have triple cabins.I heard from a couple of people who were not happy in them.We had a great cruise. John

Get answers to your questions