We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

adelaide
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

I am wondering if anyone knows of any company other than Heritage Expeditions that has trips to the sub antarctic islands from NZ or Tasmania. I have searched various posts on this forum that included links to companies that supposedly sailed from NZ to the sub antarctic islands but cannot find any mention on their respective websites. These posts are a couple of years old so I suspect things have changed. People I talk to seem to think that ships also leave Hobart for Macquarie Island and the other islands in this sub antarctic region but again I've searched in vain. Are Heritage Expeditions the only one left? If so are they are good company to go with? Have read both negative and positive reviews which also adds to the frustration.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
313 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

Orion is about to depart for its last expedition to Macquarie Island on the 28th of Feb. Now that it has been sold to Lindblad, the itineraries have changed for the rest of 2014-5. Silver Discover has a couple of itineraries departing NZ in late 2014 and 2015 that would be worth looking into. Ortelius is also departing Ushuaia in 2015 and finishing up in Invercargill.

Otherwise Heritage is the only one that I know of that regularly departs from NZ. I haven't sailed with Heritage so can't comment, but the reviews do seem to be a love/hate scenario :-). I'd probably sail on Ortelius or the new Silver Discoverer before I chose Heritage.

adelaide
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

Thanks for your reply parischris2007 will look into Silver Discover. However I am curious to know whether the love/hate scenario with Heritage is due to the ship or the actual company. I guess it depends on what your expectations are. If you are used to luxury cruises then I think a small, old Russian ice breaker would seem horrendous whereas for my husband and I we wouldn't care at all. Being from Australia we would prefer a company that was from down under so Heritage seems a good choice BUT it may not. Hope I get some new reviews from recent passengers to get some idea.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

Hi Helen B59,

Sorry, not soon enough for you, but I'll let you know next March. I'm travelling to Antarctica with Heritage in February.

There were a number of reasons I chose Heritage. I like the idea of going to a part of Antarctica that not as many people travel to, I really wanted to see some of the historic sites, there are only 50 passengers aboard and I hate the looong flight from Australia to South America!!

I have read one or two negative reviews about Heritage, but it seems to me that they came from people who didn't do their research and were disappointed. I think my expectations are realistic - 'a small, old Russian icebreaker' - so I'm hoping for an amazing experience!

adelaide
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

Have a wonderful trip SuPa25. Please let me know how you go and whether you think it is worth the money. Know what you mean about the long flight to South America. That put me off straight away. Though this cruise does have a lot of days at sea which I'm still weighing up. From the sound of things you are doing the month long trip to Antarctica rather than just the sub Antarctic Islands. Anyway looking forward to feedback next March, if you remember.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

My son went to sub antarctic earlier this year and was absolutely overwhelmed by it. He did travel as guest on navy boat but said he will definitely be going back. Loved it so much that it is now his career choice to save the area. We off to antartica peninsula in dec so I will let you know his comparisoms after

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

You may be interested in this video released today which shows just one part of Auckland islands in the NZ sub antarctics. https://m.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 30 June 2014, 10:03
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

What a top bunch of kids!

Thanks for sharing.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

SuPa25. yes, my son is one of them and he said he will be returning to the sub antarctics without a doubt. And as a scientist to help in the research.

a totally unique area and he bought back some amazing photos, memories and loved it.

Miles, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

Helen B59. I am Australian and went oon a Heritage Expeditions cruise from NZ in January 2014. I found it very good. See my trip report Trip Report: Antarctica, Ross Sea area from NZ on this site. Saves me repeating myself. I had only 1 problem - the email system broke down and didn't work well. Otherwise all was good. Yes it is not a luxiurious boat but we were in the library, the bridge or ashore most of the time so really only slept in our cabins. Most passengers were aussies or NZ'ers with 3 from the US and 4 from UK. The subantarctic islands are a highlight as well as the historic huts in the Ross Sea area. They have good lecturers on board who are very knowlegable. Gthe zodiacs are good and have decent sized engines - 60hp and not 10 hp. We even had a lady who was paralysed from the waist down on our ship who learnt to walk with sticks to go on the cruise. She was able to do most things on shore but obviously not everything. We had a really nice group of people on board with age ranges from 27 to 76 and lots of single travellers.

Only 350 tourists a year go to the Ross Sea area so it's a unique trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sub Antarctic Island cruises from NZ or Australia?

KRL your trip report was actually posted on one of TA's mysterious "lost forums" that get created accidently and randomly and are not linked to anywhere else on the TA forum - consequently they generally only gets found via google searches.

If you repost it here on the Antarctic Adventures forum as a new thread I can add it to the Top Questions trip reports to ensure everyone is finding it.

tripadvisor.com.au/…59513755

(meanwhile TA staff are endevouring to close the lost random forums down and transfer the posts here - but its taking a while).