We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November weather and scenery

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
November weather and scenery

I am planning November adventure Antartica in depth'jas anyone done Antartica in November before,how is temp max,min,sunrise ans set time and natural scenery especially ice bergs

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November weather and scenery

The weather in November was great. There was so much ICE everywhere. It was still pretty white as it was the beginning of the season. I never felt too cold, even when camping on the ice overnight. The sun is around almost all day. It was still pretty light out after midnight - not completely pitch black, but more of a deep blue hue.

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November weather and scenery

Hi anonymouse,what animal life you saw,and how were iceberg scenery

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November weather and scenery

Hi anonymouse,what animal life you saw,and how were iceberg scenery

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November weather and scenery

We saw, Gentoo, Chinstrap, Adelie, and a Rockhopper penguin. We saw leopard, elephant, and weddel seals. We saw many many orca whales.

I'm not a bird person, but apparently there were lots of them too.

The icebergs were fantastic, saw some great vivid blue ones.

Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November weather and scenery

Hi,

We're also thinking of going in November & doing 20 day cruise to Antarctic peninsular via Falklands & South Georgia.

My main concern with going so early in the season is that we may not get to the Lemaire Chanel, which I believe is spectacular, due to ice? ...has anyone done this trip in November?? ...did you get to see much of the Antarctic peninsular or would it be better to wait until later in the season???

Have been researching this trip for a looong time now & keen to make a booking soon

Happy to hear any suggestions

Cheers,

G&G

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November weather and scenery

We crossed the Lemaire Channel twice on the first cruise of the season in 2012. There and back. Mother Nature is unpredictable though, just because we got to do it, doesn't mean that you will.

Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November weather and scenery

Thanks anonymous926, was this on 2 separate trips or twice on the same trip? The trip we're looking at leaves 14th November & below is part of the itinerary

"Lemaire Channel is another narrow passage between towering rock faces and stunning glaciers. This channel is one of the highlights of a visit to the Antarctic Peninsula, but it can be choked with icebergs and pack ice"

I realise that in Antarctica nothing is definite so appreciate the fact that you made it & hopefully we will too :)

Cheers,

G&G

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November weather and scenery

It was twice on the same trip, about a day apart. We left Ushuaia on November 8, 2012, i believe the channel was the 12th and 13th. We did the channel to get to a landing and couldn't do the landing due to ice, so we went back from where we came.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November weather and scenery

hi guys,

we are doing Antarctica in November 2015 has any body done the kayaking?

i would appreciate any information.

many thanks Kath & Bob

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November weather and scenery

Early November few companies provide kayak options as it I'd cold and windy,many cancellations due to weather forbidding kayak trips,later half of November more favourable conditions