We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

Midwest
Level Contributor
445 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

Has anyone ever heard of any passengers aboard the Falklands, S Georgia, and Antarctica excursion (with any company) that, for weather-related reasons, were not able to take a zodiac landing to the peninsula itself?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

Plenty over the years given that it is all very dependent on weather - and in the converse - those who have done the same trip may have achieved all landings on the peninsular and none on FI or SGI. I recollect in Dec 2010 a ship that was a few days ahead of us had circled SGI for 5 days and lucked out with not a single landing - then a couple of days later we arrived to perfect weather and landed every single day.

Midwest
Level Contributor
445 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

Thanks, PP, still deciding between the Falkland/S Georgia vs Crossing the Circle. And I'm just not sure which will work best for me. Time and money aren't the issues, but seeing what is most important to me is. Yet, I'm not sure what my priorities are.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

If time and money aren't issues, why not go for them all in a trip like that offered by cheesemans next December aboard the ortelius. As discussed in another thread, such month long excursions may soon be a thing og the past . Cheesemans doesn't advertise the circle crossing but if ice and weather allow, they do it on that trip.

Midwest
Level Contributor
445 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

I have been considering Cheeseman's (I love the fact that it's completely non-smoking) but I'm concerned about having to sleep in a room with no fresh air. Cabin amenities don't concern me, with the exception of a warm room at night, and it seems that most ships overheat, so I simply can't sleep, which means that my waking hours will be detrimentally affected.

It's great to have several choices for Antarctica, but choosing which company and ship is proving to be a challenge.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

Smoking is another issue not really worth spending time thinking about. Most ships restrict it to one or two out-of-the-way outdoor areas.

Our cabin's door had vents to the hall, and there seemed to be decent air circulation, so overheating and staleness weren't problems. Hopefully the situations you have read about are the exception rather than the rule.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

If anything, once leaving ushuaia, the ship tended to be cool, not warm. And because sea conditions are variable to the extreme, many ships do not have windows or portholes that open. It is often hot inside after the ship sits in port for 2 days in Ushuaia, but once at sea for a day it all cools down. Higher you go, more cool it will likely be on the ship since you will be furthest from the engines.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

The icebreakers are much hotter indoors that the normal ships so I think you are focussing on things you need not be worrying about.

Yes as mentioned it can feel quite warm when you first board because everything has been switched off for the day but once they set sail it cools down nicely.

The Sea Adventurer has individual thermostats in each cabin as I am sure most others do. I simply turned mine off.

You can reach a point where the planning puts too many barriers in front of you. If there are no financial concerns then you are free to choose the longest voyage on the smallest ship - that's a pretty perfect situation to me.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

Perth nails it. If freed of constraints of mortals like time and money, long expeditions on small ships pay returns in spades. High season teaming wildlife in all it's glory on the Falklands and South Georgia followed by the stunning hues of mammoth ice bergs and surreal landscapes of the Antarctic peninsula are a winning combination that turns each new day into an unparalleled journey of discovery. Superlatives of any language fail to capture the experience. Go for the gusto. If up for this, focus on ice worthy small ships with companies that are committed to respecting the environment and providing the maximum number of landings and zodiac cruises. No one comes home talking about or remembering ship amenities. It is all about where the vessels and crew take you and the quality of the expedition staff. With so much to take in, you likely will cease thinking about who holds the passports and whether the windows open as soon as the adventure begins!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

Nope, I've not heard of anyone not getting on to the Continent...

Not heard of anyone having an issue with passports, smoking or clothing, either.....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Falklands, S Georgia, but no mainland

I didnt comment on the smoking side of it.

On my first two trips on the icebreaker I noticed it mostly in the bridge as the Russian's are permitted to smoke in their "workplace". There was one other small alcove used for both crew and passengers - but I personally never located that alcove.

On my most recent trip - I do not recollect seeing any one smoking nor smelling smoke anywhere.

There are ample rules aboard for the few people that do still smoke - I would (again) not let these small things over ride your decision making.