We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reconfirming domestic flights

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,931 posts
442 reviews
Save Topic
Reconfirming domestic flights

We are flying with LAN and it advises on our tickets that we need to reconfirm 72 hours before flights or risk losing our seats. Since we are in Antarctica this isnt easy and we really dont want to have to have any internet contact while we are enjoying our trip. How have others dealt with this? Is it really necessary?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
258 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reconfirming domestic flights

I didn't, and I didn't check in online either.

I was lucky in that none of my flights were drastically changed ie. cancelled and rescheduled where just showing up at the airport could have been disastrous.

However, I always showed up to the airport very early to check in 2.5-3 hours for an international flight i.e. Buenos Aires to Santiago, or 2 for a domestic. (So early once that I couldn't check in for half an hour)

I was told by a travel agent when I got home that the South American flights are often oversold so the last to check in are most likely to get bumped. (But not so much with LAN)

Not sure if you fly out the day you disembark? If not, ask staff at the hotel you are checking-into to verify the flights for you.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reconfirming domestic flights

If your flight is part of a tour, the company should confirm on your behalf.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,931 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reconfirming domestic flights

Nope, a travel agent booked our cruise and flights but we not with any tour. We have arranged all our own land accommodation, transfers, tours as it cheaper and we get what we want.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reconfirming domestic flights

With Quark we provide our flight details before boarding and their Ushuaia ground staff do all the checks for people while we are at sea. All the confirmations are then faxed to the ships reception desk for people to collect.

An alternative is to leave all the details and references etc with a friend or relative and ask them to do it for you.

Editing to add - just reread and you said an agent did book your flights. In that case it's 100% their job.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 11:44
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,931 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reconfirming domestic flights

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will take it up with our agent to confirm they do this. But I also think I would be more comfortable with my sister doing it!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reconfirming domestic flights

It's the agents job but have sister as an emergency back up "just in case".

7. Re: Reconfirming domestic flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17