We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antarctica camping experience?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Antarctica camping experience?

Our Antarctica trip has an option to camp overnight. Apparently they take you after dinner (still plenty of daylight) and set up tents and toilets. I assume they provide all necessary gear.

We love the idea of having this experience.

Before I sign up for the non-refundable-for-any-reason option, I would like to hear from anyone who has done this. Thumbs up or down?

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

Toilets? Buckets.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

I can deal with buckets for a night. I can deal with a lot if it is an awesome experience. Is it?

NYC
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

Here's my recommendation for the expedition: say "yes" to everything. Do everything, see everything, go everywhere, experience it all. You likely aren't going back. Do it all this time. If you pass up any opportunities what will you be doing instead? Sleeping in your room? Going over photos in the lounge? I figured I could sleep or look at photos anytime. I can't do things like a midnight zodiac tour through icebergs or swim in the waters of Antarctica any other time. Just do it. Say yes.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

That is my inclination. But since it will cost $750 for 3 of us, I still would like to hear from seine who has done it.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

That is my inclination. But since it will cost $750 for 3 of us, I still would like to hear from seine who has done it.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

Type in camping in the search section and it comes up with a number of forums

tripadvisor.co.nz/…46060950

Also some google searches quarkexpeditions.com/blog/…

We havent been yet but camping is one of the things we are most looking forward to. However, on our trip it is included and isnt an extra cost. However, $750 for three s cheap. I dont expect to sleep that great, but i ll catch up on sleep on the return drake crossing. the sounds, light and experience are what i am looking forward to. Especially when we were looking at kayaking and it is $900 each and there are four of us. Would love to kayak but cant justify the cost!

Edited: 09 July 2014, 20:38
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

All good to hear. But I am still awaiting for someone who has done this to report back.

Anyone?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

If I had done it and discussed my experience on several recent threads, I would be a bit reluctant to repeat it all again, just because you want someone to reply to YOU.

Is anything wrong with reading about it on an older post?

:-)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

I did search the forum for "camping Antarctica" and didn't find anything relevant. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antarctica camping experience?

Try searching for just "camping". Lots of hits!

That's all I can say, because I haven't done it.