We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singles Resort

NY
7 posts
Save Topic
Singles Resort

I am traveling with a small group of single men in their 30's and 40's to Mexico or the Caribbean for 5 days. I am trying to find an all-inclusive resort with many singles (prefer adults only). We are traveling in late April or early May. Any recommendations? I've read a little about Temptation Resort - is this any good? I prefer more luxurious, but am afraid more singles will not travel due to financial issues. Thanks.

Requirements:

1. Singles

2. Nightlife

3. Beach

4. Decent accommodations (not dirty)

New York City
Level Contributor
155 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singles Resort

You probably know this already, but your question is really not for this forum. This forum is about solo travel, which is about people who like to travel alone by choice, circumstance, or many other reasons. These people can be married, single, divorced etc. and can belong to any age group! Singles travel and Solo travel are two entirely different things.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singles Resort

but people who are single/travel solo would probably have more suggestions for this guy than say, the couples/families who make up most of the Yucatan forums....

but, those Yucatan all inclusives are so foreign to me, I'd advise you to post on that forum. A lot of the "adult only" all inclusives cater to couples who think they're so worldly because they can wear thongs (ick!) on their terraces! The all inclusives tend to cater toward different crowds, so be specific when you ask. If you're a bunch of gay guys, say so.

if you dont have to have an all inclusive, there are some nice small hotels in Playa del Carmen - a very young, fun town below Cancun that gets a lot of single travelers in boutique hotels. South of Playa is a strip of all inclusives called Playacar - mostly families, but some may be more singles oriented.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singles Resort

Club Med in Turks & Caicos,

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singles Resort

"but people who are single... would probably have more suggestions for this guy"

I think for this branch of the forums to work it needs to be specifically SOLO travel and not be deviated from. Otherwise it is as if you are proclaiming you have to be single to travel solo - rather discriminatory.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,857 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singles Resort

There's always going to be a few "singles" questions that pop up on a Solo travel forum. I don't think there's any harm to that.

For CRAlbany, I spend a lot of time in Puerto Vallarta but honestly can't think of any resort that is aimed more at a "lifestyle" kind of atmosphere. There are a few adults only hotels but they are all-ages, all-peoples-welcomed kind (not the Club Med, Sandals swingin singles kind of place).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singles Resort

"I think for this branch of the forums to work it needs to be specifically SOLO travel and not be deviated from. Otherwise it is as if you are proclaiming you have to be single to travel solo - rather discriminatory."

I think this advocates rules and official policies that ruin the nature of what should be a fun place to share information about travel. No one should be the arbiter of what doesnt get discussed or asked unless it violates the policies of the forum.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,857 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singles Resort

Look we've got a great brand new forum, less than a few weeks old, with less than 20 posts... I wouldn't be running anyone off even (especially!) if I *was* the forum moderator.

We need to build momentum here to make this a branch a success. My suggestion is keep it positive. If no one is interested in replying to a question, well then it will take care of itself by quickly sinking, no need to be rude and controlling.

~suze

vegas
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singles Resort

Oh brother, let the poor guy ask a question. It is you that is descriminating towards singles, not the other way around. I'd venture to say that most people travelling solo are single. And if not, they'd probably have more fun hanging with singles than with families.

Also, adult only does not mean lifestyle. It usually means 18 and over. And if they are lifestyle resort, they will clearly be advertised that way. Temptations Cancun is not a lifestyle resort and it does attract a lot of singles 21 - 50+.

It's probably the funnest resort in Mexico that I have found for singles.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singles Resort

I have read this thread with interest and think I might have identified a UK-US difference in terminology.

In the UK singles holidays tend to be, well, hormone-driven and the emphasis is on 'partying' with other singles rather than learning about the destination in question, whereas for solo travellers it is usually the destination that is most important, including its culture, people etc. Moreover people who take singles holidays often go with friends rather than travel solo, as is the case with the OP.

For those reasons, and because TA is a global site where cultural differences can lead to misunderstandings, I would suggest there should be a differentiation between solo and single travel and that the latter should have its own forum.

All thoughts welcome!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,857 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singles Resort

I think people can understand the differences from reading an OP. This forum's brand new and I vote to let it grow and development before starting to fragment it into tiny sections. It's better to have a busy forum with lots of posts imho. Easy enough to read or skip the ones that interest (or don't) you.