We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

group tours for solos?

canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
group tours for solos?

Anyone been on a group tour that is not too regimented - to Italy for singles? Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,431 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: group tours for solos?

Hi gottogoCanada,

Welcome to the forums. I am afraid that I advocate going on your own to Italy. You will have a wonderful time and meet people along the way.

I don't know any tours that are NOT regimented.

canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: group tours for solos?

Well that is not so encouraging - how about a Gap Adventure or Intrepid?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: group tours for solos?

I don't normally "do" tours either, but I took a GapAdventure tour of the Galapagos and found we had just the right amount of free time on the boat and on the beaches, but it may have been in the nature of a Galapagos trip to do so.

I spoke in the airport at Amman, Jordan to some 40 somethings who had been with GapAdventures to Jordan and loved it; but what they loved was the expert guide and the intensity of the sightseeing, which doesn't seem like what you are seeking.

GapAdventures isn't for singles per se, but the group in small and IME friendly.

If you want to see many historic sights in Italy in a short time, a tour may be your best bet. But if you want to see what you want at your own pace, going on your own with a Lonely Planet Guide might be much better, perhaps picking up local guides as you go.

Tours have to have a certain amount or regimentation to get a group of people to places at the right time.One maverick can mess it up for everyone else.

Or you could book a tour and then stay on by yourself for the best (?) of both styles.

canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: group tours for solos?

thanks...I think that is the i will take - a little it of each...

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,014 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: group tours for solos?

Italy is very easy to do on your own. I would really encourage you to go solo. All tours have to be 'regimented' to some degree. That's the only way you can move a group of people around together. With a schedule, when to get up, where to go, where to eat, etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: group tours for solos?

I generally travel on my own, but a couple of years ago I took a Rick Steves tour. You have to be interested in history and art to do a Rick Steves tour, but you will still have time to make your own choices. Also, I comboed it with some time on my own at the beginning and the end of the trip. Check out tour reviews on the website. The comments are on edited as I read my own and they were as written. Pam

7. Re: group tours for solos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 05:16