We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Groups - New Zealand

ny
2 posts
Save Topic
Tour Groups - New Zealand

I am a 27 year old male considering traveling to New Zealand solo. Since this will be a lengthy trip for me as I am from the US, I am looking to do this with a tour group.

I am looking for a tour group consisting of mostly solo travellers around my age group. I would like to experience all aspects of New Zealand, including its scenic beauty, nightlife, & sports activity. At the same time, I am not looking to be partying every night.

Can anyone recommend any good tour groups? Thank you for the help.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Groups - New Zealand

I am not quite certain why you are looking for a tour group rather than getting a copy of Lonely Planet or a Rough Guide and planning it yourself. New Zealand is a friendly country and very much st up for visitors.

However if you really do want to go with a tour, GapAdventures is one of the few tour groups that attracts a demographic around your age.

I went to the Galapagos Islands with them a few years ago and almost all were between 20 and 35. It was a great group of people, very friendly but not a "party tour".There were some couples, some friends and some solo travellers.

I think if you specify "mostly solo travellers" there is a risk that you will end up with a tour whose main purpose is to drink and party. Have a look and see what you think.....

http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/search?region=8&finder_country=167&min_price=100&max_price=5000&min_duration=1&max_duration=60&start_date=Mon%2C+Dec+21+2009&finish_date=&trip_style=&service_level=&physical_grading=&activity=&order_by=default&advanced=&finder_submit.x=60&finder_submit.y=8.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Groups - New Zealand

A few tours to check:

www.infohub.com/vacation_packages/4823.html

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/search/trips

experiencenz.com/Guided-Tours-Flying-Kiwi-Ad…

Arlington, VA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Groups - New Zealand

I went to New Zealand solo about 5 years ago and bought an InterCity bus pass to travel around the South Island. It was very convenient in terms of pick up and drop off points and turned out to be somewhat of a tour bus. The drivers would stop for food at local cafes and farm stands and on some of the legs the driver would provide commentary on what we were seeing. I met other travelers on the bus, but I wouldn't call this a social bus at all. I was looking more to have the freedom to move from place to place reliably and conveniently and then to be able to make my own plans for places to stay and things to do.

If you want more of a tour experience, I'd suggest checking out the Magic Bus, Kiwi Experience, and I know there are some other similar bus touring operations. It seemed like the people I saw on those buses were having more of a tour experience where you would get to know your traveling companions, stay in the same places with them, and probably hit the bars and clubs together too.

New Zealand is beautiful and a great place to travel solo. The country is really well set up for tourism, so it's very easy to get around and find day trips, etc. The people are super friendly too. Have fun!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Groups - New Zealand

I can recommend Magic. i did it for 6 weeks a few yesr back when i was 30.

Its easy to meet people and a slightly more mature crowd than kiwi experience which caters more fir the 18 to 23 crowd.

5. Re: Tour Groups - New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 05:16