We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Need Solo Travel Ideas?

I am a female solo traveler who has visited some 40 countires, most of them on my own. My last trip consisted of 3 weeks in Tanzania. The main purpose of the trip was to climb Mt Kilimanjaro, then afterwards I treated myself to a 5-day safari and ended up the trip with 5 days on the island of Zanzibar. I have my trip report here for the Kili climb

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293750-i11370-k39…

Here for the safari

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293751-i10776-k39…

And here for Zanzibar

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g482884-i9487-k396…

If you don't feel like reading, you can skip to the links of my photographs on Flickr (view the slideshow for easy navigation).

Busy planning my next solo trip for December!

Safe travels, all! :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Maneki-neko,

Your photos are gorgeous !

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Thanks! :-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,037 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Thanks for posting. I think it would be helpful if more people posted trip reports on this forum, as I think they are one of the best ways to get ideas for future travel. It sounds like you had a great trip, and your problems with your guide are a good example of how things can go wrong when traveling but don't have to ruin the trip.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

I will admit I had NEVER experienced so many SNAFUs as I had on that trip, but I still had a fabulous time. If a person does the proper research beforehand, one will be adequately prepared. It is also wise to consider the proverbial "Plan B"...

Another note on climbing Kilimanjaro solo-

I am seriously glad I chose to go it alone. It would have been a complete disappointment if I had chosen to go with others, and they got ill and had to descend (& I would probably have gone back as opposed to let them go down alone). Did I ever feel lonely on the mountain? Heck no! After hiking for 6~8hours a day the only thing I could think about was washing up, having dinner and hitting the sack! In my few free hours I'd write in my little journal (kept a great diary of my trip!) and talked with my friendly guide...

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Tanzania is indeed awesome!! I didn't climb the Kilimanjaro because it is so expensive.. i climbed Mt Kenya instead...

What is your next Destination?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Cambodia & Myanmar in December.

I am dying to go back to Tanzania, and am planning to climb Mt Meru in 2013. It is supposed to be just gorgeous terrain, that's what everyone who has done it says (and I though the Kili terrain was gorgeous!). Will do another safari and also head back to Zanzibar on that trip as well.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

if you are in the area I suggest that you spend some time in Malawi... it's an amazing country.. especially the area of Nkhata Bay. I had better time there rather than Zanzibar.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Are there mountains in Malawi? The main reason I'd go back to Tanzania would be to climb a mountain. Plenty of those, including active volcanoes. This kind of thing, as opposed to passive sightseeing, excites me most. :-)

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Well.. I am not a Malawi expert but there is a mountain that you can climb.

during my trip to Africa I traveled from Malawi to another country while one of the members that traveled with me chose to stay in Malawi and climb the Mulanje mountains.

It's indeed not the Kilimanjaro but she said it's very nice and cheap! cost her only 80 US$ for everything (she did it alone... solo female traveler like you...).

I am not sure if it's the only mountain that you can climb in Malawi.. better ask in the Malawi forum.

anyway I wish you safe trip!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Solo Travel Ideas?

Hi and thanks for the info! I wil have to look into that country.

Regarding the mountians-

I am really interested in serious climbing, not something that you can hike up in a day. Mt Meru will take 3 days (2 nights), it is a challenging climb with incredible scenery. A swith Kilimanjaro, I will spend several months conditionign myslelf for the trip. :-)

Mali also interests me, especially the desert music festival held there the first week of January. I will probebly do that within the next couple of years.