We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

Lyon, France
1 post
Save Topic
SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

hello everybody.

This summer I wanna go traveling by myself 2-3 weeks (I'm kinda shy but it seems like one of the best ways to build self confidence). I'm a 19y/o M. I don't really know where to go though. All I know is I want a part of my trip to be by a beach where I could soak up the sun!:D. I'm from France, will really need a break by the summer. So my question is, where to go. I like culture (museums/ expos/ etc...) and going out at night too. I was thinking of going Couch Surfing so I reduce my accommodation budget and I'm fine with moving around, I mean the 3 weeks don't have to be at the same place. but I would like a place where it is NOT weird to travel solo and to go out alone, which means a place that is really welcoming and friendly, where people don't try to avoid newcomers... Anywhere in France would not fit for instance! =D So where do U think I should go. I was thinking of a trip to Amsterdam, then Rome then Athens, so I have both the culture and sun aspects, but I love America too, so why not a trip to Southern US, or ...whatever.... anyway! HELP NEEDED!!!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,418 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

You've mentioned some great ideas on your own. I suspect your budget will be much different if you travel within Europe, since you are from France - then if you fly overseas. If it were me, I would start with a website like orbitz or kayak or expedia - and start pricing out airfares versus your budget.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

I think the best option is Thailand however I don't know if your budget allows that...

You can travel to many places.. I can recommend Diani Kenya. It is an amazing place - feels like haven on earth.

Other options are vacation cities on the Red Sea like: Eilat (Israel), Aqaba (Jordan). Both offer sun beach and has also culture.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,926 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

Closer to home with both beach and city life is Barcelona!!

It is a fabulous place!!

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

As bk_t1 says it's not the same budget to go to a few european cities or to go overseas.

If you have the budget, a great option would be to spend 3 weeks in California, where you have culture and sun (San Francisco, LA, San Diego, and a few other places such as Santa Barbara, Laguna Beach,...).

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

Hi,

I would recommend you would start at Lisbon. Flight is cheap with EasyJet from Lyon or even TAP Portugal. Lisbon has the best hostels in the world according to the main site of reference www.hostelworld.com:

- Travellers House

- Lisbon Lounge Hostel

- Living Lounge Hostel

- Rossio Hostel

- Yes! Lisbon Hostel

- Home

These hostels have cheap meals and create a lot of activities for their guests like parties and pub crawls and are inexpensive in comparison with most in Europe. Lisbon has a lot of things to see and do and the beach is just a short train trip away.

In July you have several music festivals around the country:

- Marés Vivas – Vila Nova de Gaia – 14 to 16 of July – No bands yet confirmed

- Neo Pop – Viana do Castelo – 14 to 16 of July – No bands yet confirmed

- Optimus Alive 2011 – Oeiras -6 to 9 July – Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Iggy and the Stooges, The Chemical Brothers, 30 Seconds to Mars, more to confirm.

- Paredes de Coura 2011 – Paredes de Coura – 14 to 16 of July – No bands yet confirmed

- Super Bock Super Rock – Meco – 14 to 16 of July – Artic Monkeys, Beirut, Arcade Fire, Portishead, The Strokes, more bands to confirm.

There are more places in Portugal you can visit namely the Algarve or Porto and from Lisbon many daytrips. Neverthless I think a flight to Madrid and then to Barcelona would be a nice addition. Or maybe skip Madrid (that can be very warm) and add Ibiza, Menorca or Palma to Barcelona. Trip would end for a reasonable price and you will see three cities that at this time of the year are quite fun and have plenty of things to see and do.

Have a nice trip!

Montreal
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

I say Cuba is a great place to start, but then again your in France, so there's quite a distance compared to a canadian like me, but if distance isn't a problem, I suggest Cuba, I find it to be inexpensive, they have lots of beautiful beach and alot of history too, unless the fact cuba is a communist country bothers you and it is very safe for a soloer, ive been there solo and there's a cop in almost every corner you turn.

Edited: 07 February 2011, 00:23
7. Re: SOLO TRAVEL...but where??? help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 00:18