We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No "Single Supplement" List

New Hampshire
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No "Single Supplement" List

Let's encourage tour companies, hotels, restaurants etc. to offer amenities to solos and at no additional charge, by keeping a list of those that do, and patronizing them. Maybe it'll catch on.

205 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

I dont think hotels and restaurants charge single supplements - do they? You're just not splitting the cost of the room, or meal with anyone.

Tour operators do but in this economy more and more of them are being smarter about it. But, I still dont really consider it a single supplement. If the room costs the tour operator $100 (let's not get into their mark up which is the same regardless of whether 1 or 2 people are in the room) - you're going to pay $100 if you're one person - or $50 each for 2. Should the tour operator lose money and charge 1 person $50?

New Hampshire
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

I should have worded it more specifically. I was referring to "specials" that many hotels offer such as "dinner for two", "tickets for two", etc. And the same for restaurants... "half price for the second entrée", "dessert to share", etc.

New Hampshire
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

Doing some research tonight I saw this on a website that I hadn't seen before... solotravel.org:

"End of the single supplement? March 2011

Orion Expedition Cruises might be setting a new precedent in the cruise industry by abandoning the single supplement for their cruises.

In a recent press release from the company they have stated "'In response to enquiries from potential solo travellers, Orion Expedition Cruises has announced that they will waive the single supplement surcharge applied on all Orion sailings from 16th September to 21st December 2010 inclusive."

This is great news for solo travellers, particularly in the cruise industry where a solo can pay as much as a 100% again for their own cabin."

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the website nor the cruise company whatsoever.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 06:53
Montreal
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

Norwgian Epic also offers a solo cabin with single fee

new york, ny
Level Contributor
49 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

everything seems to be 'double occupancy' with regards to packages. so to get a great rate on 'air and hotel' offerings you must book it for two.

i'm going to take a look at the site that's promoting the single supplement or anti-dbl.-occ req's. it's frustrating as we solos can't take advantage of advertised special deals.

i also realize that there may be added expenses when only one person purchases, but we know that they are rarely selling out, unless it's a small luxury safari, china or world cruise trip for instance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

I could not agree more strongly! I see the cost is getting less and less for single occupancy rooms but still, the per person price for single vs double is vastly different.

Plenty of us out there love to travel solo, why do we have to be persucuted for this but people judging us and then charging heavily for it!

I'd love to know about more websites ecouraging this, any others anyone know of??

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

I agree totally - the whole two-for-one gambit really stings single travelers.

It's the fine print that states 'prices based on twin share' that hurts the most. I'm no longer traveling solo but did for a great many years. The cost of my holidays has dropped dramatically. I think there are more and more people who are traveling solo who want more than a cheap bed in a dorm room or the option to share with a complete stranger - it's a growing market which tour operators need to recognize and woo.

Good luck phototrekker.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

All inclusive resorts do charge a single supplement for their hotels and many non all inclusives in Caribbean if there is only one registered guest.. All that i have encourtered thru Mexico and Caribbean. I sometimes pay more to stay solo then if another person was eating and drinking with me. On sites like cheapcaribbean travelzoo etc.. all the deals they advertise when i punch in my dates and solo travel the rates posted double

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

As far as I know single supplement exist only if you use a tour operator.

I have never paid any single supplement when I book hotels (directly or through expedia, hotels.com, venere.com, ect...).

Resorts in the Caribbean are special apparently.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No "Single Supplement" List

The easy answer is to avoid all inclusives that charge you the price for 2 people eating/drinking/doing activities-excursions when you're traveling solo.

Smaller dive or jungle lodges always waive the single supplement for me; I dont stay at those huge places because theyre not my style and I know Im never getting my money's worth. There is no way I am getting up at 6am to reserve a lounge chair and I always look for boutique hotels that are a lot more likely to negotiate rather than mega/chain resorts

For example, I just stayed at a dive lodge where the single supplement was only $200 on a $1495/week everything included package; and they waived it. I dont think an extra $200 for a person to have their own cabana, instead of the resort getting $1495 x 2 if there were 2 people in the same room, is outlandish!

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 21 June 2011, 20:52
Reply to: No "Single Supplement" List
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted