We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Singles Travel - Best of France

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
All Singles Travel - Best of France

Hello All,

I am really interested in participating in All Singles Travel - Best of France trip. I am single, late 20's, female who wouldn't otherwise travel alone (just not my personality) so being on a group tour is very interesting.

Has anyone ever used this company? If so, what's your experience.

Do you know of other companies/websites that offer comparable options?

Thanks for your help.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

Never heard of this company, but that doesnt mean much. I would do a lot of research into them before booking anything.

I can't comment on your choice, because it is so the opposite of what I would ever consider doing. Just make sure to read the itinerary careful and ask questions about their style of travel. A lot of these tours have you spending lengthy time on buses, getting up at 4am to put your luggage outside the room to board a bus by 5am for no particular reason.... Then you run from place to place instead of spending any quality time.

When I was investigating tours of Peru years ago, all the tour operators sort of bragged that they left no time for shopping - real adventure travelers dont shop after all - there was no way I would have considered booking that sort of trip. Aside from anything else, the markets in Peru are famous for being photogenic - and dont miss - even if you dont like to shop. When I found a small group photo tour of Peru, that stayed in a lower level of hotel than all these other tours but specifically arranged to be at the markets - I booked with them.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

Hello,

Thanks for responding. I sent an email and got no response. A definite red flag.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

good point! although I am about to email a hotel in Belize that didnt get back to me, which I rarely do. It's out on a atoll, so likely they didnt get the email.

really, you can do it yourself! It's very easy. I would fly into Paris - spend 4-6 nights there, then take a train down to Provence - and do book some group day tours from there, if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Even in Paris, you can arrange day trips to Versailles, or market tours, or even take the double decker tour buses around the city. But, for a first time short trip, you will find plenty to do in Paris.

I travel alone all the time, and admit, I still dont like eating dinner alone, but do it because MOST adults in France are single - and do eat alone - and you will NEVER see these people again! As a foodie, i am not going to eat swill or in my hotel room because Im worried that people will think Im strange eating alone.

Also, you will be surprised how many people you will meet in advance of your trip if you spend time on the Paris forum here, or even on Facebook. I have French friends in France, but before my last trip fell into a group of about 10 expats I met through Facebook. If anything, I spent too much time socializing and not enough time seeing what I wanted to see when I was in Paris in Oct.

If you need help planning trips or for info about staying safe on the road/solo travel - check out my site - suitcaseready.com. There isnt much France specific info there yet, but the general trip planning info and section on packages may help you.

Edited: 14 April 2011, 17:09
New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

Hello,

They did email back, but it was too late. I had decided not to participate anymore. You figure if someone was going to spend 3500 with your company, they would respond quickly.

I actually have family from Belize. I would recommend calling, internet is scarce for them down there - even at the nice hotels.

How do I find out about the group tours? If I do it, I will only do Paris alone. I'm sure there will be plenty to view there. Are there plenty of English signs? Is there any sign of American hatred???

I will definitely check out your website.

Thanks for your help.

US East Coast
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

I traveled to Paris on my own for a week for the New Year 2011 holiday - had a great time! I speak some French - am not fluent, just enough to get around - so that helped a bit but I found that, if asked, people will speak English.

You can pickup Rick Steve's French phrase book for traveling - has a lot of key phrases you will need, a menu decoder (always helpful!), and a mini-French dictionary. There are also several English language bookstores (like Shakespeare and Company) where you can talk to others about the city and get information. I did not find any anti-American sentiment - in fact, I found people to be extremely nice, friendly, and helpful. It was a great experience!

For me, when traveling on my own, the key is always to have a good hotel - not necessarily an expensive hotel, just a good one. By this I mean a place that is clean, comfortable, well-located and also has a staff that is available and helpful. For me, my hotel is my home base and having people that can assist with questions and provide support as needed is very helpful. It also helps to have a hotel with internet access - either in the form of a computer terminal available for guest use or internet access in the rooms which can be used with your own laptop. This is very helpful as well for support and planning during the trip.

I loved Paris - it is so beautiful, so much to see and do, great food - whether you tour on your own or mix in some group day tours (I didn't but likely the hotels will have information on this) you will have a great time!

Hope this helps!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

Ive never encountered any anti-American animosity - except from my childhood au pair, who strangely loves America but when we're in Paris, we will walk around for an hour seeking a restaurant that couldnt possibly have any other American in it besides me, or it will be deemed too touristy.

You can probably find out about day tours by searching on the Paris forum. Last year I went to Ireland, and not sure how I found them, but ended up doing 2 bus day tours from Galway - I just searched online and then looked for reviews/comments about the company here. The name Viator comes up, but they repackage others' tours so they probably mark up on the price.

When I wanted to do a day trip to Reims (Champagne country), I booked the train myself, but I know a client's son took a tour from Paris, and I noticed there were quite a few offerings. O-Chateau is a well respected wine tasting co that offers small group tours - you may want to look at their site - but they're all wine focused.

You will definitely be able to book day tours to Versailles, Giverny (Monet's studio/where the waterlillies were painted).

My downstairs neighbor, who is so timid, Im not sure how she could be doing this - is doing a Paris/Aix combined trip. She's taking the train. She thinks she speaks French (OMG! Mine is bad - hers is abominable) but she will get around - you will too! It's always a good idea to be able to intiate conversation in French - and people will quickly switch to English if they speak it rather than have you mangle their language for another second.

Belfast Castle
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

Bonjour mes amis!

Loire Valley is on the populariity stakes at the minute. Does anyone know of a good wee hotel or accommodation around that part of the world that can do a single room?

A

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

Just did the trip to Bali.....won't be rushing out to rebook any more trips.

Prairie Village...
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

DO NOT USE ALL SINGLES TRAVEL - I just returned from a trip to Italy and would not recommend them to anyone.

If you want to go to Italy book a tour with Perillo and just pay for your airfare on your own

10. Re: All Singles Travel - Best of France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 12:12