We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women Traveling Together

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Women Traveling Together

I am considering my first solo trip out of the country. Has anyone used the Women Traveling Together group?

Thanks!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,314 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women Traveling Together

Also look at Gutsy Women Travel which has a good reputation.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Women Traveling Together

I'm only curious as a male who loves to travel.....is a woman's only travel group verging on sexual discrimination? I'm seriously not trying to flame the situation! I'm really curious. I may think this as I'm a male who connects better with women friends than male friends.

BTW, I have seen some good travel groups for women on Meetup.com.

I hope you find the right group so you are comfortable traveling and exploring the world.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Women Traveling Together

Thanks! I will check it out.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,215 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women Traveling Together

Texaswander, I have had a lot of experience traveling on my own in Europe and also traveling with a friend. I don't do tours because I don't like to be dragged up early to go places that don't interest me.

I also find that sometimes traveling with strangers is not fun.

It is the luck of the draw!

I went to the Women Traveling Together web site and read some of the tour itineraries. I have been researching Costa Rica for a future trip so I was interested to see what the Women T.T. tour did there. Just from the itinerary I'd probably have picked the Caravan Tour that also goes there but is not strictly a women's tour.

On the other hand the itinerary for Tuscany looked interesting so to me it really depends on your own interests.

I'd rather go alone than be with a person I don't like much but everyone is different and you might feel more secure with a group for your first try.

Let us know how you come along and feel free to ask questions along the way.

Do you have a specific destination in mind???

Edited: 12 January 2012, 20:03
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women Traveling Together

I am interested in traveling to Egypt - the Nile river and pyramids. Do you have any experience with traveling in Egypt?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Women Traveling Together

"I'd rather go alone than be with a person I don't like much but everyone is different and you might feel more secure with a group for your first try"

I agree - I cant imagine ever traveling in a group again, although I guess I would make an except for Bhutan, which doesnt seem to be easy to access unless in a group. Wouldnt hesitate to go to Egypt alone - I would just stay in as high end hotels as my budget would allow. For a first trip, I would be doing all the major sites - and there is a good tourism infrastructure in place there to get you from place to place.

suitcaseready.com

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Women Traveling Together

Hai im going to china alone, never been there before. Actually im scare because of the language difficulty... Can you advise me some tips? Thx

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,215 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Women Traveling Together

Egypt has been on my wish list for a while now but I haven't managed it yet.

I can't get away for more than 1 week at a time and I would need more time than that soooooo--maybe one day.

There is lots of good info though on the Egypt forum. I'd go there and read for a while and ask some questions there.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Women Traveling Together

A couple of tips. Egypt is awesome and the pyramids live up to expectations. The egyptian museum in cairo is amazing. There are loads of mummys down dark corridors and its rather surreal. The biggest irriation in egypt is forever being persued by taxi drivers who want to take you sightseeing and shopping. You have to put your foot down or ignore them completely.

China. No one outside of the hotels and tour guides speak english. It doesnt make traveling around impossible. For instance the beijing metro is clearly written in english and all the announcements are in english. If you need to go somewhere just ask the hotel to write it to you in chinese. Most hotels will also give you their card with the hotel name and address written in both languages. Its a help if you need to take a taxi. Dont let the lack of language put you off - china has loads to offer

hope you all have great trips

angie

www.angietravels.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Women Traveling Together

Nengmira-

At some point, I realized I cant possibly speak EVERY language - and it shouldnt stop me from traveling. I do attempt to learn as much as I can... But, often it really doesnt matter - even if you can speak - for example ask the question, you never understand the answer. Even in French, which I speak the most of other than English, I can rarely understand them unless they speak very slowly and separate each word -which they rarely do.

The first time I went to Thailand when no one there spoke English outside of major hotels in Bangkok, it was rough getting around - and for some reason I insisted on doing a lot of independent travel instead of day tours - and it always worked out. I always managed to find a bus back from wherever I ended up, even if it didnt seem like there was one once I got there.

suitcaseready.com