We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel advice April.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel advice April.

I'm planning on travelling alone in April for about 10 days and have no idea where to go! I'm Irish and I'm 22 so I want somewhere with some excitement. I was thinking Kenya or Iceland or somewhere fun?? Ideas people?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel advice April.

I can't help you with European destinations. Consider New Orleans, LA. It's one of America's greatest cities. It very old and historic. The French Quarter is historic with great bars and restaurants. It's near the Mississippi River if you want to visit one of the worlds largest rivers. There's great food and a lot of attractions. Enjoy your trip.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,459 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel advice April.

Really need to know what you are interested in. Do you want a resort with clubing or a bit of culture? What do you mean by excitement? What is your budget? How far do you want to fly?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel advice April.

The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival starts the 27th April in 2012.

It is held in the fairgrounds to which you take a dedicated bus from the edge of the French Quarter.

There are 5 outdoor stages, 2 tents and lost and lots of food stalls.

The music is not just jazz (which is one tent) but rock, country, blues, etc. with some of the greats come to play.

All ages attend. ONe year I went the weayther was perfect, another, it rained but always a fantastic atmosphere and some really great music.

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/

The tickets are sold per day and are an amazingly good value.

Iceland sounds good. For Kemya, I would wait until the difficulties with Somalia settled down. There have been kidnappings and murder of tourists in the northern part of Kenya.

If you are thinking Safari; it is green season in Zambia (I'm going Wednesday) and prices may still be good in southern Tanzania as well.

For beach holidays, you might be better in Europe or Florida (the west coast is, IMO, more interesting than the east coast, but Fort Lauderdale has an Easter scrum of university age students) Miami is wonderful, but might be better left until you are older or go with friends. The line between safe areas and unsafe areas can be narrow.

The beaches in Zanzabar are lovely, but keep in mind that the coastal areas of Tanzania are often Muslim and you should only go if you are prepared to behave respectfully.

It all realy depends on what you find exciting.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel advice April.

Wow that covers a lot. Ten days is not a huge amount of time and you probably shouldnt travel to far as you dont want to be stuck fighting jet lag for most of your trip. Kenya is amazing and there are many types of safaris as assume that would be your objective. Many of them go to the Masai mara. I did two camping ones, which are at the cheaper end and they were both excellent. Good food, not bad tents and really good guides which is the most important part. Zanzibar is really stunning and if you want a laid back time then this is an excellent choice as well. One of the best locations in Europe is Berlin and you could combine this with a vist to somewhere like prague. You could also combine Moscow and St Petersburg which are also two amazing cities but it may still be very cold that time of year.

good luck and have a great trip.

angie

www.angietravels.com

Essex
Level Contributor
29,142 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel advice April.

The only thing if you want to go to Kenya or somewhere else 'more exotic' like that, is to make sure that you have enough time to get all the necessary vaccines, start your malaria tablets, and anything else, before you go.

You don't want a life threatening illness as a souvenir, just because you were 'impatient' of your travel dates!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,074 posts
5,942 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo travel advice April.

Just check for seasons when considering places like Kenya. Have visited the NPs for safari there and in Tanzania and Uganda during March/April as well as Sept and October in the past. I did enjoy the March trip, its cooler and dry in Kenya. I don't suggest traveling to Kenya independently though, best to use an overland company like Dragoman, Kumuka or the other group of tour providers for East Africa, they have long histories of shuttling backpackers and budget travelers around the National Parks for your safari trips.

O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo travel advice April.

lol Kenya and Iceland, 2 extremely different places! I'm going to Iceland in June or July though. Come join me!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo travel advice April.

Kenya was fun, but you do get close to the animals on a safari in Kenya.

So if your to take a camera P&S will do, but for more serious photographs I would look at having a range of 80-400mm (or longer) and a nifty fifty (50mm).

Edited: 10 March 2012, 14:14
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,074 posts
5,942 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo travel advice April.

What Inf_Photo says is so true. If you are considering Africa, do consider investing in some decent camera and lens for your trip.

I always feel bad for those on safari with little cameras and no binoculars, having spent a lot of money to get to the amazing parks in africa only to not quite be able to see a lion kill or a rhino hiding behind trees. Its a shame to go this far, be so close and not be able to really enjoy what is surrounding you.

We carry several bodies and lens with us when doing safari, including a a Cannon 400 mm, for the real "gem" close-up shots of wildlife as well as smaller traditional 35mm to cover landscape and scenery pictures that don't fit in screen of the big lenses.

Also, consider buying (or borrowing) a nice pair of binoculars, we use Steiner brand, really helps when you want to stop taking pictures and just watch the wildlife. We actually spotted wildlife using the binoculars in several parks in Kenya, scanning the horizon, looking under trees far away on the grasslands, checking for lions, or whatever might be resting in the shade. Found cheetahs doing this in the past in Tanzania, without the binoculars, not a chance! Would not have spotted as much important game.

10. Re: Solo travel advice April.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:17
Get answers to your questions