We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

Hi there! I am from Singapore. I am planning a trip to Australia, maybe from a week to 20 days max. I wonder if anyone care to join me? Or should i go solo on my own?

Here are some questions, maybe can help me out with it. I just started looking through website. I not sure what the budget and Itinerary should be like. Kindly contribute some ideas.

Thanks!!

PS: I will update my post as i work out something along the way.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 15:38
England
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

Wow. You lucky thing.

I would definitely do the 20 days as a week isn't long in such a huge place.

What kind of thing are you looking for? Scenery? Beach? fun and night life?

etc.

The East Coast is more populated and has more of a back packing scene. Lots of fun, lots of people to meet. Nice beaches, lots of places to see like Canberra (which I loved and it's definitely worth a visit. Go to the Parliament houses and the Institute of Sport, hang out watching the black swans on the lake...gorgeous), Sydney, Byron Bay (cute little seaside town - go for the float tank experience) etc.

West Coast is more scenic but is also quieter and more sparce. I really liked the Monkey Mia beach (even though the dolphin experience was too busy). I liked Perth and Freemantle Prison. I loved Wave Rock.

Definitely worth a trip to Ayres Rock/Uluru. It is beautiful.

Melbourne is a cool city.

What are your thoughts so far? Might be worth investigating internal flights to save you time.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

Hi slippeddisc,

Thanks for replying! Currently, i still in the process of researching.

I am open to all option. I love scenery, history, shopping, fun and night life. I not really a "beach" person as i cant swim :X

Area that i am considering at the moment might be Sydney, Newcastle, Canberra and Melbourne.

Internal Flights are a good ideas! Thanks! Previously, i exploring ideas of taking train. But i think i might need more than 20 days.

Budget is greatly a concern to me, i trying to work thing out :)

England
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne are all nice places. I've never been to Newcastle.

Could you slot Ayres rock in too otherwise you are visiting cities the whole time?

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

Its a great ideas! I could consider that :)

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

You can go by yourself, it's easy to plan. Sydney is fun to visit even if you don't want to go swimming. I'd also recommend Cairns & a cruise to the Great Barrier reef. Just go with a cruise company that offers helmet diving, which does not require any swimming abilities. You could also check out the little fairy penguins on Phillips Island from a day trip from Melbourne.

Enjoy!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne are all good choices.Like slipped disc, I haven't been to Newcastle.

I didn't like Cairns, but I know others do. I snorkel a lot, but found the Great Barrier Reef Cruises disapoiningly crowded.

I second the suggestion of going to Ayres Rock (and Kata Tuja near by). There is a minimum time to book hotels there, so you will have time to join a hike in Kata Tuija (which is an amazing and very beutiful place.

It is very disrespectful to climb Ayres Rock, but there are walking tours around the base. The aboriginal run walking tour provider, Anangu Tours, appears to have ceased operating, but there is a Centre with a small museum and shop that may organise something.

Even if there is not, you can walk around the rock yourself (You can't get lost).

It really is a very special place. (Keep in mind that it is in the desert, which means it gets cold at night even if the day time temperatures are warm)

I also really enjoyed the camel rides on offer in the area. I know it is very touristy thing to do, but it was interesting to see the bush from on top of a friendly camel.

England
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

I forgot about Kata Juta. You are right Leagle, it is a beautiful place. I second the thought to not climb the rock.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,173 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

I have been to Newcastle. I worked there for a couple of weeks!!

It has some good beaches. It is a large 'workaday' City. It used to have some nice 'Australian Art Deco' buildings, before the Earthquake!!

Actually, I was there in 1989 the year of the 'quake'. I was working there before the quake, then went on my travels. Luckily for me I missed the quake itself. I was able to go back, though to Newcastle after the event, and before heading home. The state of the City was sad, then!

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_New_South_Wales

www.visitnewcastle.com.au/visitnewcastle.asp

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

Thanks everyone for the great advise.

I decided to delay the trip to August instead due to my work.

I going to book air ticket !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A trip to Australia from a week to maximum 20 days!

It is quite expensive to visit Ayers Rock so need to take that into consideration. Although it IS amazing.

I'd stick with the East coast. Sydney is the bast (but I'm biased). :-))

Maybe travel up to the Barrier Reef. Melbourne is great too. I'd miss Canberra with such a limited time. But it depends what you are into really.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 06:57