We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute travel

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Last minute travel

Hi!! This is my 1st time posting. I had vacation plans, my friend bailed on me at the last minute. I have the last week off in July, I would like to go somewhere by myself preferable Europe. I live in NYC. Are there any last minute walking tours I could do, this is my first time travelling solo. I welcome any ideas, I'm looking for English friendly place, I would go to London, but the olympics are probably going to make last minute accomodations difficult. Thank you!!

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
947 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute travel

Hi JenneR

Just before or during the Olympics hotels prices might be a little bit crazy in London !

There a some very pretty towns in the UK: Bath, Oxford, York, ...

And some interesting towns: Liverpool, Manchester.

Even more interesting: Scotland, with the beautiful Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I think it might be a good to combine Edinburgh and Glasgow (easy train connections).

Edited: 04 July 2012, 09:28
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
947 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute travel

ooops, one word is missing: good idea...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,869 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute travel

Dublin is also a possibility with lots of flights from NYC!

Delta is having a 4th of July sale!

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute travel

Thanks! However, I have already been to Ireland

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute travel

There are numerous walking (and cycling) tours for all sorts of European destinations where it wouldn't be too late to book. First, "English friendly" doesn't mean you should limit yourself to "English speaking." If you are going as part of a tour group, or if you are sticking with the cities, anyplace is going to be sufficiently "English friendly" for you. Second, given that you will be traveling in late July, I would recommend that the more active you want your trip to be, the more northerly, or the higher in altitude, I would look. If you want to take an active walking or cycling tour, I would look for Switzerland or Austria or Scandinavia, maybe the Netherlands or even the Czech Republic and Slovakia (the High Tatras should be perfect that time of year).

Pick your place first, then pick your touring method.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 18:33
Essex
Level Contributor
28,842 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute travel

Go to Newcastle-upon-Tyne (Wallsend) or Carlisle (Bowness on Solway) and walk Hadrian's Wall.

You can find companies that will carry your bags and find you accommodation en-route leaving you free to walk and enjoy the spectacular scenery and history!

You won't need a tour group as I'm sure you would meet interesting people en-route, but I suspect there are tour groups to be found that might 'squeeze in' another one!!

It takes roughly a week to do the walk, and there is a bus that runs 'alongside' the AD122, that you can use if you have not made it to your "destination for the day" at the alloted time....

Most peeps walk in the Carlisle to Newcastle direction because of the prevailing winds - but also on the UK forums it is reckoned that the views are better looking west-east....

http://www.hadrians-wall.org/

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,813 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute travel

West Somerset is ideal for walking. There is loads of stuff on the net. Most of Exmoor National Park is there with walking, landrover safaris, lots of wildlife and the most beautiful scenery. Deep wooded valleys with waterfalls, ditto the coast or moorland. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncojCBfpkU & my favourite nationaltrust.org.uk/watersmeet/… I can tell you a lot more about that if you are interested. I think you can get a direct flight to Bristol Airport or come by train or coach from London. Not long.

At the other end of the scale there is the Amalfi Coast in Italy which do (rather steep but fabulous) walking tours, also Majorca, and it's little sisters which are a gentler day out.

8. Re: Last minute travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:16