We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

Hello all,

After deciding that Bulgaria wouldn't be the best place to traveling solo the first time, I decided to go to the Czech Republic.

Since this is my first time traveling alone, I wonder what things I should take in account and what the most common annoyances are.

My initiary for about 8 days (when I will be picked up by my parents who are "in the neighborhood") is:

Prague, about 2 days

Plzen, about 2 days

Cesky Krumlov 1 day (+ Cesky Budejovice (for the original Budweiser))

The rest will be travelling by train.

Is it difficult to travel by train, and how do I need to approach it?

So my main questions are:

- Does anybody have some general tips when travelling solo in Czech Republic....

- Is my initiary good or optimistic?

- How is travelling by train going?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going in mid august (this year) by the way.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

I have only visited Prague, I think you might stay 3 days in the capital city.

As for travel by train I can't say, but Czech Republic is safe as far as I know (the most common problem is theft in tourist areas).

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

Hello Thomas

Like Chris, I have only been to Prague, stayed 4 days, and I could have happily stayed a bit longer. Excellent food ( and beer!) , easy to get around, and lots to see and do.It's a very safe city for single travellers.

For detailed questions about the Czech Republic, I'd suggest posting in the Czech destination forum here on trip adviser. For more information about train travel, I'd also suggest posting a question in the train travel forum on trip adviser. Hope you have a great time..

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,716 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

Definitely ask your specific Czech questions in the Prague/Czech forum

I would not expect to be able to see all that is offered in Prague in only 2 days.

I am planning a solo trip there myself next spring.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 17:01
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

The Czech Republic is an excellent place to travel, solo or otherwise. You don't need to speak a word of Czech in Prague, at least, as English is very commonly spoken in the tourist core.

Prague and the rest of the country is very safe (unlike, for example, Bulgaria). The biggest crime issue -- maybe the only crime issue -- is pickpocketing in the area of the astronomical clock in Old Town Prague around show time. (But, still, make sure you catch the show, despite that problem.)

The Czech Republic is geographically small, so you might consider basing yourself in Prague, the transportation hub of the country, and visiting some of the places you want to see as day trips from Prague.

Advice? Drink local. Beers that is. And eat plenty of halusky, the national dish.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 18:11
znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

if anybody makes it down to my lovely little town of Znojmo in the wine country, i'll happily show you around. Definitely worth a day or 2. Or more if you have the time.

www.google.cz/maps…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,444 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

I've been to Prague, Karlovy Vary and some other cities in Czech Republic. The best general tip I can offer you is to prepare for the pickpockets in Prague. My experience was noticing that they seem to work in threes, two create a disturbance to distract you, the third is close to you and unzips your bumbag or whatever to help themselves. In the squares, markets, Prague Castle, the Golden Mile, Charles Bridge and on the trams and busses. Keep everything you value under your clothes. Either a neck pouch or a waist pouch:

travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm…

Rick Steves famously tells the story about how he uses a dummy wallet and then smiles as he feels someone take it out of his pocket.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 08:50
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,002 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

I am a regular traveller to the Czech republic and you iintary seems ok expept I would suggest you do Plzen as a day trip from Prague I take it you want to visit the brewery and if so post of the Prague forum and I can give you the details (I have visited the brewery 5 times).I have also mad a day trip to Cesky Budejovice for the brewery there too. Travelling by train is very good and cheap but buses tend to be quite a bit quicker.

www.idos.cz is the best website for info about travel within the country

Edited: 16 July 2012, 12:04
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,002 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

and I must also spell check before I post.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,002 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

for Riff M

"I would not expect to be able to see all that is offered in Prague in only 2 days."

too true I have been travelling there for many years and always find something else to discover.

There is a big beer festival every May if you want to visit about then, I have been to the last 4.

ceskypivnifestival.cz/en/about-festival.shtml

let me know when you do decide to visit and I can help with lots of suggestions.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 12:14
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,716 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very first time solo traveling, to Czech R.

Thanks unclegus!

When I know my dates I'll let you know.