We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do solo travellers do in the evening?

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
What do solo travellers do in the evening?

This is just a survey question.

While I agree it's great to be a single traveller during the day to do the sight-seeing stuff, in the evening when you walk along the streets and see groups of friends enjoying dinner, or drinking happily together in a bar, do you get more self-conscious of being alone? What would you usually do in the evening, or do you just retreat to the hotel for an early night?

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

I clean up and eat later.

Get off to a later start or take a mid day break and don't get back to you room till 5 - 6 pm. Wash up - relax a bit in your room and head out to eat 7 - 8 pm. Then head back to the hotel and go out to some club 11 pm or so

Now times can vary but I found those times work out well where I visit. Most people are done eating by 7:30 but the place isn't empty and the club action picks up later on. 8 pm is dead unless a sports game is happening

Stay out late and have fun. I learned to drink soda and not booze or I feel kind of sick the next day, lol

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

Its allways the pub for me, dont do clubs these days but sports bars are a good place on your own or a bar with a band playing live ,i once went to the cinema on my own in NZ and a baseball game in toronto on my own that felt a bit odd

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
948 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

In the evening I think it's time for dinner.

Then, depending of the destination, it's also a good time to go to bars or clubs.

Sometimes it's nice to walk after dinner to discover the city.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,900 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

Depends on the destination. Cities.....theatre/ shows/comedy club/late night openings at night museums/pubs/guided night walks or river cruises etc... and then back for a long soak in a hot bubble bath!

Beaches...after dinner, a stroll and drink at a pavement cafe or a bar/shopping/meeting up with people I've met/star gazing...

I'm not an extreme sports fan... so don't need to hobble back to my room looking for painkillers!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,465 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

I agree that it depends on the destination.

IF I am in Europe then I make a dinner res and go (between 7-8PM)

I might go to a concert or opera or listen to music in a bar/restaurant.

I might sit at an outdoor cafe for an after dinner drink.

OR I might be really tired from sightseeing and just go to bed after dinner.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

On holiday I sleep less, just can't see paying money to sleep a lot. Yeah we need our sleep and as I get older I need more sleep but its easier to pull myself out of bed at a hotel vs on the weekends in my own bed

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

As for myself, I typically have an early dinner, by around 7pm local time, alone or if I meet someone interesting have a conversation with them. Over the years I have met some interesting people and had many conversations with them over dinner.

But the one thing I do enjoy is using the time for reading, at nights and mornings to be honest and this is the one time a year that I can get to catch up on all of my reading.

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

I found going to a concert or musical quite a good choice. I like going to bars and clubs as well but I often found it's quite strange to walk into these places alone, even if I managed to talk to others in the end.

9. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 14:00
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do solo travellers do in the evening?

Being a female who travels solo, it really matters what country/city I am in when I decide how to spend my time after-dark. In a mostly safe location, I will have a late lunch and wind up my sightseeing later in the day. I'll clean up (and potentially nap) before dinner. Depending on the hour, I might catch a show/movie/theater, etc. or just head back to my room and piddle around.. read a book, post an entry on my blog about my trip, etc. In the locations where I am feeling more scrutinized, I will cut out the early-evening break and have dinner before 6p and head up to my room.. where I will most certainly enjoy a bottle of wine and be a complete bum - cause hey, I'm on vacation!