We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused-advice please!:)

wigan
Level Contributor
286 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
So confused-advice please!:)

As I've had a few hard years I really want to treat myself to a nice holiday. I also have a lot of catching up to do after having the years of 16 to 31 without a holiday. My first solo vacation was barcelona (OK but more of a 'taster' for single travel) and New York this may (when i was 32) which I adored. I'm willing to spend a little more as been saving for holidays for years and can have up to £1500 on hotel+flight but really dont know where to choose next-so confused!

WANTS

i)Luxury and safe, ii)Some sun but am not a great sun worshipper, iii)Shopping (!) and iv)Plenty to do so I dont get lonely

CHOICES:

i)New York again at Christmas time (3 nights) for christmas atmosphere/shopping+3 nights cheap sun somewhere like malta (2 separate breaks)

ii)Dubai - 4 nights in luxury hotel in low heat season

iii)Las vegas 4 nights(but not sure if its a bit seedy/unsafe for a single female)

iv)Disneyland/orlando (combination of Epcot/Disney and Outlet shopping)-5 nights: always been my dream but just didnt imagine it would be single and bit worried about feeling lonely (although quite independent)

PLEASE HELP!/ADVISE:) Its driving me mad knowing I have the money but cant decide and keep going round in circles!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,928 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

New York sounds good and you put it first.

What about Paris if you are into shopping? Stay somewhere nice, great cafe culture which makes it easier to meet people.

Vienna for the cakes ;-) and good shopping.

Think you might get lonely in Dubai, harder to get talking to people.

Disney you're going to get a lot of families and crowds so would think if you are feeling like company at the mo it may be as well to put it off. On the other hand it is always good to make a dream come true, gives you bags of self esteem.

Las Vegas I'm told is fun but the people I've known go as a group.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,049 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

Linking this thread to the same post on the Holiday forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12334-k5810664…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,049 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

Why not try something new, different and adventurous like Cape Town, shark-diving, wine-tasting and safari. Add lots of good restaurants, world-class scenery, mountain climbing and even safari nearby - it has it all. Also, not that difficult to travel solo as the South Africans are very helpful and know how to take care of their guests. If interested, come spend some time on the South Africa forum and research this lovely little corner of the world.

For a more relaxed, world-class scenery (best in the world actually) - try New Zealand. This is a solo-travel friendly destination.

For cheap and exotic, go to Thailand - arguably the best solo-travel and backpack destination in the world. Very affordably, nice heritage and culture and maybe the world's best cuisine available here.

Hope these suggestions are useful.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
943 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

- New York is certainly great.

- Las Vegas is one of the best destinations for solo travellers, and it's perfectly safe. There are tons of things to do even if you don't gamble.

- I would not recommend Orlando as it's more family orientated. I've been to Orlando twice but it was for business reasons.

- Dubai: I can't say, I've never been there.

wigan
Level Contributor
286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

Thanks to the last poster!:) Although I know everyone is being helpful and I really do appreciate peoples reccomendations,ideally i'm asking for advice on my options, not suggestions of more (as that just confuses me even more!)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,049 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

Of the four choices, its hands down NYC or Las Vegas. Disneyland is for families, not really a solo travel destination and Dubai is not really an ideal destination for female solo travelers, I'd definitely do some research here before committing.

If you want to see something different than go to Vegas. If you want to see the best Xmas destination in the world, go back to NYC. Here is your problem, NYC is expensive, even more so during the Xmas holiday. Best to book your room well in advance (already if you were considering 2012).

Just my two cents on your choices.

Columbus
Level Contributor
208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

Las Vegas is relatively safe and doable for a single. Lots to do, though I personally don't think it's as great a shopping destination as NYC.

NYC at Christmas will be wonderful. If you want some place else, you might consider Washington DC. It can be beautiful for the holidays, is not as far north so its warmer, and there is a lot of shopping, though perhaps not as concentrated as you might find on Fifth Ave.

I just got back from a week at Disney, which I spent a lot of time as a single. It was easy, and far more fun than I expected it to be as a single. I did not do any shopping down there, but the Disney/Orlando forum on TA is excellent and will be able to give you a huge amount of help.

wigan
Level Contributor
286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

Fab thanks ever so much:) Lets hope I manage to decide (trouble being single is you've no one apart from you fantastic people to discuss it with!). May end up doing a twin centre, new york and orlando late Nov next year (spending 3 nights in each) or maybe a weekend away somewhere cheap and then new york at christmas time (for any UK people there are flights from Leeds Bradford with Jet 2 from end of Nov to Dec only which are a little cheaper - handy tip:)

Any more advice on the destinations here are really appreciated

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,049 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

heachy, are you now asking for advice on

>>>>>maybe a weekend away somewhere cheap<<<<<

as well or just your first four choices?

If so, I think it does make sense to save on the extended airfare of flying from London to (NYC and Orlando) and apply that money to spending more time in NYC and a cheaper destination like Edinburgh, Amsterdam or even just spend a weekend in London, one of the greatest cities in the world to visit in your own backyard. Good luck in your decision.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So confused-advice please!:)

Hi there,

Thought I would offer some advise as been to 3 of the 4 places you suggested and am same age, never alone but I am always mindful of styaing in "safe" places - persoanally when on holiday I want to feel safe, I don't want to be looking over my shoulder all the time and to have a bit of luxury you don't get at home!!

VEGAS - Stayed at Mandalay Bay, great hotel if you plan to do a bit of sun bathing, as with all of Vegas so much to do that doesn't involve gambling (which I don't do) there are broadway type shows, all the casio resorts to explore and some of the best designer shops in the world. Safetywise I was supprised how tacky some parts were, you get offered the hooker cards when just walking down the street but not really threatening, very matter of fact! Its so hot anyway walking is near impossible so stay in a big hotel and the vallet will get you a cab anywhere you want to go at nightimes. My favorite hotel was the Vienician - amazing!

NYC - Loads to do at Christmas time - been in summertime and we went for thanks giving 3 years ago and great time. Stayed at the W Time Square whi0hc was brilliant safe location, entrance right in Time Square with 24 hour doormen waiting with lift for you, which can only be opperated with your room key. Very safe for woman travelling alone. Highly recomend the Christmas show at Radio City Music hall.

Disney/Orlando - Been to both California and Orlando. I would say go for it is your dream. Yes, most people will be with families or couples but such a friendly attmosphere you would get talking to people whilst waiting for rides, parades etc if you wanted to chat. I can't imagine you would feel more lonley here than other places. Shopping in outlets great at Orlando. Parks are HUGE - 4 at Disney alone with each taking a full day so give yourself plenty of time to enjoy! In California only 2 Disney parks so less time needed but there is also the film studios, Hollywood etc and you could spend somewhere on beachs afterwards, CA has some of the best in world after all. If you have time time why not multi stay LA-Vegas?

Let me know if you want anything more specific on any of them x

Edited: 06 October 2012, 10:47