We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe place to travel solo

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Topic
safe place to travel solo

hey ,i am looking to pick any random place to travel for christmas this year,i dont want to spend another christmas alone,but i guess i have to,so thinking of spending it some faraway place,any tips?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,021 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe place to travel solo

Welcome to the board. Could give us more details on who you are, what you're looking for in a trip, and your budget or travel needs, how long, and whether you have a passport?

Take a look at this post (and others) to help give us more specific information personalized to you and we'll do our best to offer help and advice:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12357-Solo_Tra…

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe place to travel solo

Welcome to the Solo Travel Forum.

The big question is whether you are seeking sun or snow. The other is whether you would welcome solitude or are looking for a party to join.

suspect bk_t1 meant to post this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k58271…

:-)

Edited: 15 October 2012, 18:46
Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe place to travel solo

Vienna, Austria!!! Safe, beautiful, lots to do, Christmas Markets, snow!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,021 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe place to travel solo

Thanks - yes, I was trying to point to a post where the OP gave some good information upfront... I think it was this one.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k5810658…

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe place to travel solo

In Christmas, I ditto visiting Christmas markets in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland. It would be beautiful!

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: safe place to travel solo

hey, thanx for replying to my post,being from nyc i didnt want it to be to aplace with snow,but as i was reading ,certain tropical countreis are not safe enough.

many people recommended austria....do you have any other recommendations.

thanxs

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: safe place to travel solo

thanx for the reply kimbux,i was thinking vienna,i am not a big party person ,so you think it still a good place to go?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe place to travel solo

Oh yeah - I love Vienna... I have been there 17 or 18 times - many times solo and always find somethign new to do.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safe place to travel solo

bindii a,

What tropical countries woud you like to visit that you think may not be safe?

If you are willing to travel some distance, Australia is mostly warm during the northen winter (and in fact Queensland is probably too hot, but Tasmania is fantastic in December/January), much of the South Pacific is lovely (although Fiji may not be the safest destination for a solo female), Singapore is a fascinating destination (and incredibly safe for a solo woman)

I was on Zanzibar and on Mafia Island off Tanzania last September and found both fascinating. Each is a half hour flight from Dar es Salaam.

As both are predominately Muslim and if you did not want a Christmas and family vibe, might be especially interesting to visit then.

You need to follow the modesty rules for visiting Muslim countries of lose clothes with upper arms, legs above the knee and chest covered (except on the beach), but as long as you do, it is an envionment that feels safe.

For specific information about safety, try the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website for sensible advice.

fco.gov.uk/en/…F_anchor

Edited: 17 October 2012, 21:16
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe place to travel solo

Random thoughts about random places (without snow in December):

Hong Kong

Istanbul

Buenos Aires