We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GA Adventures - Egypt tour

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
GA Adventures - Egypt tour

Hi,

I came across gap adventures/gaventure as it seemed to cater tours for a single person. Has anyone taken the egypt tour and any recommendations? Also is egypt safe for single women ?

I have about 10 days off from christmas to new years and was planning to sign up for this trip.

Any tips/help is appreciated.

thanks !!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,439 posts
5,653 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

Hello Maddy_J_123,

Gap Adventures is a reputable overland company specializing in medium and long term travel. I think they target a younger crowd but don't know for certain. You can try to do a search on this company using the Search Box at the top of this page and you'll be able to read past thoughts people have using this company.

Would also be worth your time investigating in the Egypt TA forums to see if anything has been posted there regarding Gap Adventure travels.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,018 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

Yes, searching is your friend here...Here are a couple posts that mention Egypt - you might want to private message those responders.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k38338…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k2038…

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

I had a very good experience with this company a few years ago in the Galapagos Islands. There were several of us travelling solo out of 16 on the tour. The age range on the trip was from 20 to 57, with only two of us over 40 and, I suspect, obly one younger than late twenties.

I also ran into a couple in their 40s in the airport at Amman who were returning from a trip in Jordan with GapAdventures (Same company, previous name) and were very enthusiastic.

I am female and traveled solo in Egypt, Jordan and Syria in March and April 2009 (and solo just in Egypt in October the year before). I did my reseach into appropriate dress (not shorts and tank tops!) before I went and was treated with courtesy and kindness everywhere I went.

However, Egypt is in flux at the moment, Jordan is "bubbling" a bit politiclly and Syria makes me want to weep for the tragic chaos taking place there.

I don't believe a tour provides all that much extra protection in times of political turmoil and I would be a bit wary of traveling in Egypt just now.

However, I may be over-reacting to what I read in the news (I was in London during the 2011 summer riots and things were more normal than you would have expected) and some specific questions asked on the Egypt Forum might be useful.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g294200-i9124-Eg…

Also have a look at the Foreign and Commonwealth advice of the UK government. IME, their advice tends to be sensible and not too hysterical.

fco.gov.uk/en/…egypt

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,863 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

Egypt is a country you need to research throughly unless you are familiar with traveling alone in the Middle East.

It also depends on your personality and travel experience. You should know about the dress code, scams and hassles. There seems to have been an increase of these with the reduction in Tourist Police since the revoloution so you really need to know how to behave. But having said that it is a wonderful country to visit both culturally & for it's landscape and way of life.

Going on a Nile Cruise or to the Red Sea resorts it is fairly straightforward but it is still wise to know as much as possible.

You should check out the forums under FAQ's for the areas you want to go. There is a lot more info than this.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294200-c102956/Egy…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297555-c95859/Shar…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-s409/Cairo:Eg…

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

Gap Adventures, is really good i would take it, regarding the other one i don't know much on this option if you are visiting Egypt i'd suggest to use a Local Tour company can be more experts than other ones, and can know and offer best.

about Safety, you have to keep watching the Egypt Forums and post some queries regarding this tours and about Safety, ask some recent solo Female Travellers once you contact one of the Tour companies you're planning to go with try to ask for recent women travellers to Egypt who give you some recent updates.

H

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

A friend of mine (single woman) just returned last week from Egypt. She went with a tour and felt very safe. US requires tours that include US citizens have an armed guard wit them, but she said they never felt the need for it. I'm planning to go to Egypt soon. I'm looking at Sights and Souls trip in Jan/Feb. If anyone has any feedback on them I would appreciate it. Thanks.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,501 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

Trip Adviser doesn't have a specfic forum for tour operaters /travel agents, and so it is difficult to provide quality feed back on commercial companies.

I really wish that such a forum existed, as I sometimes wonder if security/ consumer protectioin/female travellers/solo travellers/budget travellers/Non EEC travellers... oh the list goes on...actually stops or limit taveller choice.

This means that some solo travellers may feel they are pushed into the arms travel companies all preying on the perception that travelling solo is by defintion is ..... UNSAFE ... and earning a hefty profiit into the ( so called) bargain.

I am certainly not advocating for any traveller to be so fool hardy as book a trip into a war/disaster zone.

But I am suggesting to solo travellers that if your travel insurance company will give you cover for your destinations... go for it!

The www has provided us all with the tools to book our own trips,get information from fellow travellers, and check that tour groups/travel packages really do live up to the cash paying expectations of us solo travellers .

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

I'm afraid I don't lilke solo travel....gets too lonely. While I usually travel with friends and we just pick a place, rent a car, and do our own thing (covered most of Europe that way and it was terrific)....I can't talk any of them into going to Egypt. Same thing when I went to China. So I went there with a small group of women (9 women - 6 of whom had never met) in a tour and we had a great time. So I would like to do the same with Egypt. Sights and Soul has a couple of women signed up for the January trip, but I'm just trying to do some due diligence on them.

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

Thank you all for your suggestions. Definitely helpful to look at the travel restrictions .. I have been reading a few other forums for trips to egypts and most of them have recommended the same things as suggested above.

10. Re: GA Adventures - Egypt tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 09:15