We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel

Vale of glam South...
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel

Have recently lost my lovely husband and I am 70 years of age I would love to get away for Xmas and New Year as that is when it will be realy bad for me. I dont want to travel further than Spain or Canaries as this is where we used to go and I also dont want to pay for double when there is only me. Thanks all

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel

Dottilind so sorry for your loss. I think you are doing the right thing. People are very kind and often want you to join them and my own personal experience is that this is worse than being alone.

You don't say what your interests are. That would help.

In this instance it might be a good idea to join a tour where you are with others, a singles group may help as you will find some of the others are in the same situation. You would have someone to talk to, have meals with or you could be on your own if you wished.

Going to a hotel/beach holiday can be the most isolating though here a group would help. A city where you can find things to interest you, walking holidays in Majorca, south spain, Cyprus, cruise on the Nile (5½hr flight).

More information about you would enable us to give you better targeted advice.

Edited: 25 October 2012, 21:11
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,196 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel

Dottilind I agree that you are doing the right thing to get out and about with people at this difficult time in your life.

I have a friend here in California in a similar situation. She has made reservations to go on a bus tour to a lovely national park where there will be group activities at Christmas. I don't know if there are similar trips available closer to your home? I am not sure going back to a place you enjoyed with your husband is the best idea at this time but I am sure you will make the right decision.

suebovington has a lot of experience traveling from closer to where you live and I am sure she will be able to help you if you tell her a bit more specific info about what you'd like to do and how much you'd like to spend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel

Dottilind, like the others before me sorry to hear of your loss. Christmas is never an easy time to be alone but finding somewhere to go largely depends on what type of activities are into and to a lesser extent language abilities.

However, please don’t take this as a cliché but have you considered a cruise? Modern cruise are ideal for young & old, single or families. There are so many activities to choose from and if you do fancy a bit of “me time” by yourself, that is easily done. I have done a cruise earlier this year and the range of options of things to do on board is wide.

It is not too late to book up for this Christmas depending on whether you wish to fly or depart from Southampton. I have provided a link for P&O but there are many other Cruise companies out there.

pocruises.com/find-and-book/christmas-cruise…

A cruise is easy to do by yourself because of the amount of organisation available to you compared with just flying off overseas and navigating hotels and getting around.

But whatever you do make sure you do enjoy your Christmas and New Year!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel

To follow Screensilvers idea Orion Expedition Cruises had no single supplement last year. I know nothing about them but worth looking into.

Also Norweigien Epic.

Saga do some good holidays but may be booked up by now. Single rooms go quickly. I was also concerned that being singles & couples mixed may make you feel sad.

Solo's holidays are singles only with no hidden agenda. They do quite a bit at Christmas both at home and abroad.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel

Have a look as this:

leger.co.uk/tours/…Itinerary

Leger also do other tours for single travellers....

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo travel

I agree about a carefully chosen cruise might be the answer.

Here is an article in Cruise Critic (TA's sister site) on solo cruising which gives a fairly good over-view.

I loved crossing the Atlantic solo on the QM2, but I did have to have 200%, which is the only reason why I haven't done it a second time.

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=419

The NCL single cabin section, complete with a solo traveller lounge sounds excellent.

Here is a review of a solo female on an NCL cruise:

cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/…

However, If there are friends you could spend Christmas day with, perhaps leaving just after Boxing Day for your holiday, it might be more comfortable for you. Group jollity with strangers might run the risk of feeling more alone than you really are.

My husband died at the end of October many years ago, but I still feel grateful to the friends who took my daughter and me in for the first Christmas without him.

On the other hand, a northern lights cruise with either Fred Olsen or Hurtigruten could be fantastic.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 17:48
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo travel

So sorry for your loss. I travel solo as well and rather enjoy it. In my book, cruising is the best. When I was first alone after loosing my partner, cruising and train travel were godsends. This Christmas will be a first time in an all inclusive resort. If this not successful, I will return to cruising.

Just one little word of caution, leave with the intention of doing something NEW for the first time and NOT necessary being alone for the first time. It will ease your mind and you might be pleasantly surprised and proud of yourself.

Best travels to you.

Vale of glam South...
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo travel

I just want to thank all you lovely people for taking the time ti write in answer to my message and will take on board all you have suggested. Unfortunately I cannot sail due to bad experience years ago and am terrified of the thought of being on a ship. No it was not the Titanic ha ha

.I enjoy beach holidays but as my husband was having so much radium he was not allowed to sit in sun so I used to go off on my own with my book and towel while he sat at the longe bar drinking his beer bless him. As was suggested that I spend Xmas day probably on my own as people could make me worse and anyway I know I will not be good company. Anyway what ever happens I will try and get past it all, bu then New Year will be worse as that is when I lost him 2nd Jan 2012. But thankyou all so much for your kind wishes and messages. Dot Meah

9. Re: Solo travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 10:15