We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

York Beach, Maine
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

Hi All! Whew, this world is a big place! I have 1-2 weeks off between Jan - Mid march (I am looking into the 2nd and 3rd week Jan though as I already have babysitting semi lined up). Through my own stupidity I have ended up with massive airline credit as well so the plane ticket is no longer factoring into my budget. I can basically go wherever I want which seems to be the problem, Im so lost! I have been to Italy and Ireland so would like to try someplace new. This will be my first solo trip so Im kind of nervous/excited at the prospect!!

Here is what Im looking for:

•Beautiful landscape and ancient architecture

•someplace not in the US (unless its Hawaii)

•Somewhere where I will feel comfortable (not harassed being on my own) and where I wont feel like an old lady amongst a sea of co-ed partiers (im not huge on the nightlife/club scene)

That being said, I have no preference on temperature (Im traveling from Boston so anything slightly warmer than a deep freeze in January will be good).I do enjoy the beach but dont want to park it there for my entire trip.

I have been considering

Portugal (staying in Lisbon and doing day trips out. I am getting concerned about the strikes though)

Scotland (staying in Edinburgh and doing day trips out)

•Australia (where I was planning on going but my friend bailed, I am worried about monsoon season).

I am trying not to spend more than $1000 on the ground including transportation once I land. Thinking it would be most budget friendly to base myself somewhere, rent a short term apartment and go from there. I have never stayed in hostels but am open to the idea if its a spectacularly/safe clean one. I would truly appreciate any ideas on location and accommodations, day trips etc.

Thanks!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

There is NOTHING to worry about Australia. If you are really convinced there will be a monsoon, just don't go to the tropical parts. Melbourne is usually as hot as hell at that time of year. With occasional downpours but not a disaster area. Australia is a continent sized country so it's always sunny somewhere.

If you're not bothered by the cold in Scotland, think about the dark. In January it will be dark at 4pm. Wait till March for that trip.

York Beach, Maine
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

Thanks Akkarin! Australia has been on my top 3 list forever! So it wont take much convincing to go :) Do you have any recommendations on which parts to visit? What to do? I have been looking into Melbourne and Im not sure whats around for a daytrip type of deal? Seems theres a lot more around Sydney if I want to do daytrips out but I dont think I want to spend 2 weeks in the heart of the city!

Thanks again

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,029 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

If your airfare is not a consideration, I'd suggest Bali. For a small island it has loads to offer,( food, shopping, stunning scenery, delightful local people, and completely different culture) and accommodation is of an excellent standard, and a good range of types and styles. With 2 weeks you could easily combine both a beach stay, and a few days in and around Ubud, which is the artistic heart of Bali.

Or..... Bangkok for a few days and then either one of the Thailand islands, or the northern beach coasts of Thailand

Or..... Kuala Lumpar for a few days, and then Borneo.

All these destinations are very solo friendly, have a well developed tourist infrastructure, and in terms of hotels/food and drink, are very good value for money.

I would however suggest the weather conditions.... not for snow of course, but rain! .

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

Google Philip island penguins. Easy day trip from Melbourne.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,881 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

I'm a fan of the sunshine coast north of Brisbane. The hostels are good, loads of outdoor cafes all cultures, trips done by local operators.

Very easy to travel around. Rentals are easy too. The guy I use us Norman Martin Real Estate, Maroochdore. Does a lot of good rentals. Off Peak is 26th January -28th March 2013 so the lowest prices. He covers a lot of areas.

Where I rented in Cotton Tree Maroochydore there was a view of the beach from my balcony (just over the road), cafe, library and small shops nearby, supermarkets & malls a short walk by the river.

3 different beaches within walking distance. Bus stop nearby. It really is that easy. If you want the websites PM me.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

Check out New Zealand. Beautiful that time of year, safe, easy to meet people, good transportation and lodging all over the country at any price level you want, and you can be active or just a sightseer.

Scotland is great, but not that time of year. Australia is too big, you'd have to pick one spot for that amount of time. Portugal is beautiful but it's really a summer destination.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

I would definitely head to Australia. There shouldn't be problem with rain at that time of the year. I would head to Sydney and the Blue Mountains for landscape.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

This one isn't on your list, but ------

How about Hungary and maybe parts of Slovakia and Krakow in Poland?

Last year I took a 3-week trip that eventually cost $$3400 - including airfare and the concommitent 'fees' for that - and absolutely everything else. (I calculated that on the basis of all the CC bills (including foreign transaction fees) and subtracting what I had left in local currency from what I had before I went from what I had in local currency upon return, so it really does include everything. Stayed in 3* and 4 * hotels all along the way and certainly didn't skimp on meals, transportation, etc, etc, etc.

Certainly no problems about travelling single in that region.

The scenery in Hungary is not spectacular, but the RR stretch between Kosice and Zilina in Slovakia certainly is. If you know what you're looking for, there is quite a lot of Roman Empire and medieval 'stuff' to investigate.

Ooops! I failed to mention that the scenery in Budapest itself IS pretty spectacular. My bad.

If you learn the international signs for things and do some research in advance on the public transport system and maps, the language barrier is not bad. A bit of ingenuity takes you a long way, even in the places where there is very little English.

The food is great, but don't expect seafood.

9. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2012, 12:49
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,533 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 29 y/o female with 1-2 weeks and too many options! Help!

Last post reported for advertising.