We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

SW of England
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

I've never done hostelling before, but I've been youtubing a few places I considered staying, and there seems to be a lot of emphasis on parties and drinking, exactly the experiences I don't want when travelling.

Are hostels a good way to "connect" with people, or just have a knees up and be on your way?

Is this just a stereotype

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6duI-HNmw2Y

Thanks

Edited: 15 November 2012, 23:44
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,989 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

PT... hostels are used by a huge variety of people, and not just party animals!

If you have a destination in mind, but you're not sure if the hostel in that area is for you, then I'd suggest going to the destination forum here on trip adviser and either reading the reviews for that property, or posting a question in the forum itself.

Have a look at the hostel association website too, they are keen to attract families and travellers of all tastes and ages!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,691 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

I wouldn't judge the hostels of the world by a video on Youtube!

Even when you travel to a hotel you may find groups of people there who are partying and making noise!

I'd say hostels are definitely a place to meet other travelers. They are not just used by teenage backpackers but many folks of all ages who want a local inexpensive place to stay will use them.

DO read about individual hostels on this site or others and make informed decisions about them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

HI Hostels are generally less party oriented than others. See the link below.

http://www.hihostels.com/web/index.en.htm

Having said that I have met rowdy types there as well, but they are a minority. Some of the HI Hostels are popular with school groups which does mean they are noisy, but I have found as an adult they leave me alone. Hostels are certainly a good way to meet other travellers. In spite of the name Youth Hostels they are open to people of all ages (except in Bavaria) and I always seen elderly people there as well.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

Not all of them. Some of them yes, some of them no. I myself prefer a place with less rowdy crowd and usually do a bit of research before I book a particular place. Even then, at one time, I did a mistake and booked this hostel that I thought would be quite in Buenos Aires. Boy, was I so wrong. They had parties going on late evenings and rooms are not only dark but also stuffy and dirty. And yet it got plenty of good reviews. They are probably from the owner I guess.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

I haven't really stayed in hostels, but a young woman I met on a recent European trip said that some had more parties than others. I agree with reading reviews and asking on the destination forums. Some also have private rooms, so at least the partiers wouldn't be in your room. Although I would find that lounge really annoying and probably change locations if it were a regular event.

I have heard that a lot of families stay in hostels in Germany (maybe in other countries too, but I found that info when researching a Germany trip). Maybe ones with family rooms would attract fewer partiers?

6. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 05:57
Edited: 04 August 2014, 05:57
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

I just read this blog post about hostels and other low-cost options:

nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/…

Brazil, Indiana
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

I think it will be fun. it depends on how you treat your vacation.

9. Re: I'm having second thoughts about using hostels...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:18