We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
958 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

Anyone thinking of booking with them? I have had one holiday with them and was thinking of another but now I think I am changing my mind its all turned a bit dodgy

I booked a holiday with them and went In July The hotel was lovely and I had a nice time the only issue I had which could have made the holiday a disaster (luckily it didnt) was that the numbers in the party they told me had booked for the same week was 9 including me great I thought .....only when I got there it was just 1 ! and 2 doing a second week

so as I wished to go again next year (Ischia is Lovely) I posted on their forum to see if anyone was thinking of booking for next July and commented on what happened this year. I AM NOW UNABLE TO LOG IN AND THEY HAVE DELETED MY POST!!!!!

Is it a blip or do they delete anything slightly negative?

anyone had the same experience?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,837 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

They probably didn't like the criticism. And wouldn't want people to be put off.

As for not getting the right facts this sort of thing happens all the time with companies. Advertised trips not available for instance, or not running because take up is low.

This is why I always take my own insurance and research, research, research the area. Then I know I can do the things I went for.

Many won't go out on their own and can be very disappointed.

I can see the numbers thing could be a bit of a downer, expecting company and not getting it. You possibily could have booked cheaper on your own. You strike me as someone who wouldn't easily be left in the lurch by this tho and would get out there and enjoy yourself regardless.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,938 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

I agree with Sue. If you are not satisfied with a tour company, and you are blocked from their web site.. why give them any more of your hard earned money!

Should you want to go on another organised trip, there are plenty of other tour companies and packages to choose from.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

Nope! I have never booked a single package holiday yet or come to think of it any type of packaged deal, apart from a cruise earlier this year.

Travelling in July is peak season and if you went alone I doubt you would any problems making new friends.

Don’t worry by Christmas they will be e-mailing you with all their 2013 special offers. Remember they need you more - than you need them.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

thank you for all your replies I have decided that they are one company I no longer trust and will be unlikely to use again .

I have only recently (last year) started to travel abroad so I am not yet brave enough to go completely alone although I have looked at cruises as I would feel safe on my own doing one of them , but they are just tooo expensive for solo cruisers at the moment .

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,837 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

Solos do Italy, Sorrento way I think. Bet Just You do too. Travelsphere is mixed but you can opt to share a room. Oh and Riviera do, again mixed couples and singles. Their trips are good. Run by the Telegraph group.

Look what I found www.solosholidays.co.uk/isle-ischia-singles

How are you at walking? It's a good way to have company to go on a walking holiday. There are some good walks in Italy.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

Thanks I have all the solo travel brochures and working my way through other tour companies now too .

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

I went with Just You to Tuscany and to Cuba. Excellent service, great tour managers. I've also been with their sister company Travelsphere to other destinations and had a really good experience.

Just You trips were a real mix of people and ages and the better for it.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

yes I have looked at just you but they are a bit on the expensive side I have also looked at travelsphere for a Croatia holiday and spoke with them tonight , I have 3 holidays I like its just choosing the right one decisions decisions

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

Earlier this year I went on my first singles holiday. I had looked into Sharm El Sheikh through a few singles companies, and they were quoting around £1000 for a week flying from Gatwick.

I managed to get a similar holiday via Thomson in May for only £500 and flying from Exeter. As I had chosen the cheapest deal for a single person, I then found there were a few other singles staying, and plenty of people to chat to.

It did make me think, if going on a resort holiday then it's certainly best to check out the mainstream agents to compare prices as I felt it would have been a hefty premium to pay just to book a singles holiday and be introduced to a few other single people, when you get to meet people anyway during the all inclusive meals, and the evening entertainment.

If the mainstream travel agent offers "single room" rather than "double/twin for single use" then it shows they cater for us, and chances are the single rooms are in the same block.

After enjoying my first holiday by myself, I then went to Iceland in September. This time, as expected the hotel wasn't the social area with entertainment, but a place to sleep and have breakfast. I did book plenty of tours, and got chatting to people on the tours and also walking around Reykjavik, and found there were loads of people visiting by themself. This time, I looked around for the best deals for flights and hotels separately. The shuttle service from the airport was good value as well.

Again, it shows you don't need to use a singles company to have an enjoyable time by yourself.

I am looking into touring and activity holidays, and although the singles holiday companies offer these, I have looked at the itinery on places like STA Travel, Explore, and Adventurecompany which appear to offer a good choice and value for single travellers looking to visit the lesser known areas of popular European countries, or going long haul and visiting somewhere completely new. In these cases travelling with a group, whether singles only, or mixed might be easier than trying to work out a similar itinery by yourself.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are you Thinking about Solitair travel for Solo travellers

Thanks for that Martin I am almost sure about the tour I am going to book to Croatia (Still an extra £190 single supplement to pay though )I am a friendly person and get along with most people so I think I will be ok I have a renewed self confidence after reading all the stories from people on here who have travelled solo . I am quite restricted to holidays in the school holidays so choice is more limited