We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

Hello everyone! I'm here because I need help!

I had planned to take a trip in late April to San Francisco with a friend of mine but it looks like the plans we made might just fall through but I still want to travel. I'm not very enthusiastic about going to California without her so I want to take this chance to go out on my own. I've been debating on staying here in the U.S., going to the UK, or maybe somewhere like Norway or Sweden. I've traveled the U.S. before and I've been to Mexico and Costa Rica. I want something different!

My budget isn't very large but I was planning on looking on AirBnB for accommodations and eating street food or cooking on my own. So my food and stay budget won't be a problem but the flight anywhere out of the U.S. is pricey. I'm not saying I won't consider it, I just want it to be worth it!

I'd really like those places because I want to visit the cities. While the outdoors is great, I'd rather see it from far away from this trip. I would like a place where a car isn't necessary and I only have to walk a few blocks to get public transportation.

I've been looking but everything is just starting to blur, I need some help!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

You mentioned the UK (where I am) and London comes to mind as a place that might just be as different from anything you might find elsewhere.

True the flight cost is an issue though the transatlantic fares are reasonable value.

In London, many of the attractions - galleries and museums - are free of charge. Look in the London forum for the experiences of single travellers which are pretty positive. Public transport is as good as anywhere and there are tips on the forum about getting the very best value.

And we speak a similar language. Do come.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,418 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

What do you like seeing and doing? Istanbul ? Barcelona ? Rome ?

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

London has been one of my considerations but I wanted to see what else was out there that I hadn't thought of. So far I am leaning towards London but I don't want to make any concrete decisions just yet.

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

Hi Bk,

I would love to visit Rome & Barcelona but the flight is way out of my price range.

I'm looking for a city that I can walk around in and easily find my way back through public transportation. I want to go into local owned businesses and find little treasures and eat food from a nook in the wall.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

MM, Norway and Sweden are lovely, but expensive, even for those of us that live in Europe.

Street food in London ....only Borough Market and Whitecross Street market spring to mind.

The London travel forum is packed with good up to date advice, and if you post a question about your a daily budget figure( in sterling not US dollars) you will get plenty of advice and information.

You will definately not need a car for London, in fact , it's a nuisance, and the pubic transport system is easy to use and quite extensive. There are plenty of free attractions to visit in London and there was a thread in the London forum, specifially for the financially challenged!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

Street food? No need for a car? Something different? Limited budget?

It sounds as though Asia is beckoning you.

Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia are probably the easiest for a first time traveler as you will find English spoken everywhere.

You'll probably find that the airfares will be more expensive than to Europe, but once you get there, everything else will be so much cheaper.

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

Evamelb,

I don't know about thailand or malaysia but singapore looks interesting, I'll look into it.

gonzales, louisiana
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

I am interested in driving to Portland Oregon and would consider a stop off in SF. I have never traveled on my own, but my partner will not leave his chair and tv and I want to see my family.

O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

Well you've got a whole planet full of unique countries to pick from. I'd say go for something out of your comfort zone. London is just like US cities in most aspects. How about somewhere in Asia? Japan is amazing and probably the safest country I've ever been to. Singapore is nice and humid. There are so many options. Good luck! :)

10. Re: Looking for suggestions for a single female traveling alone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 December 2012, 16:05