We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveller over 50

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Solo traveller over 50

I am a fairly experienced traveller Europe, india, asia, nz but have always been with family or friends. I would like to do some solo travel and meet people along the way. In the past I have stayed in 3 or 4 star hotels but am wondering if share accommodation would be better, don't like the idea of dorms though. Any suggestions ? Thinking Europe or South America..

I am a fit and healthy 50ish woman and cost isn't a problem. Not concerned about solo travel as independence is my thing.

Would appreciate some tips.

Thanks Chris (Australia)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,617 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveller over 50

Hi Chris C,

Welcome to the forums.

I have been to Europe(Italy/Spain) several times on my own. I am older than you are and only started my solo travel in my late 50s. I find that I meet people everywhere I go because I chat with everyone! I also have found these forums quite useful. I go to the forum of wherever I am planning to visit and start asking questions. Sometimes there are other people also asking questions who will be visiting at the same time and we have arranged to meet for a meal or to share a day tour. Sometimes folks who actually live in the city get involved in the conversation and we all meet up. I now have a travel friend who also is a woman in her 60s who travels alone every year to Italy . We have met up in Venice , Barcelona , and Naples. We met in these forums just by chatting.

I prefer staying in small family run hotels or B&Bs in Europe. It makes me feel like someone knows me and knows where I am going and can offer good local advice.

I also prefer small group tours to large bus tours. I have found that sometimes it is better to be a solo traveler than to be stuck traveling with someone who has a totally different approach to travel than I do!!

I think Italy is a great place to start in Europe if you haven't been there!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveller over 50

Many thanks Riff, great advice, especially liked the b@b tip, hadn't considered that. Great to hear from a fellow young at heart traveller.

Have been to Rome and Barcelona and would like to see more of Spain and Italy in my own time, last trip very rushed.

3. Re: Solo traveller over 50

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 December 2012, 05:36
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveller over 50

I'm older (but also female) than you as well, but started solo travel in my 50s. I

like travelling in Italy in part because the train network is so good.(Although the same may apply to Spain and while winging about the trains is a national sport in England, the trains are pretty good here as well)

I agree with Riff about staying in small family run hotels.

Florence is one of my favourite cities and this October I stayed at the Casa del Garbo which is right on the Piazza Signoria, has bags of atmosphere and modern plumbing but part of what made it such fun is that breakfast was served at one long table and the other guests were both interesting and friendly.

However, one of the keys to enjoying solo travel is to pack light. The rooms in the Casa del Garbo were up a steep flight of stairs. (as were my rooms in Assisi and Venice)

http://www.casadelgarbo.it/

I too get talking on the TA destination forums and often end up having everything from a cup of coffee to a day of shared meals and sightseeing with people visiting or living in my destination.

Some Destination Forums also have meetups either regularly or irregularly.

The Trip Advisor London Forum (TALF) has pub meets at least monthly and the occasional afternoon tea meet when someone expresses interest. The numbers run from half a dozen to over thirty at any one meeting. Both newbies and regulars are welcome.

If Brisbane has such meetings, you might try participating in the forum a bit and attending the meetings.

I have made some friends at the TALF meets that I have later met up with at their home locations.

However, if you enjoy your own company and are interested in your destinations your trip will be a success whether you spend hours chatting with new friend or just exchange "cio" with a restaurant owner.

Hostels don't really appeal to me as liking to have my own space is part of why I travel solo.

I think, though, if you go to places that interest you and do the things you want to do, you are likely to meet compatible people, more so that if you try to stay in places that aren't really "you" because you think you will meet people there.

If you like your job, you might try contacting local versions of it. One of the best evenings I spent while travelling was in Osaka at an English-speaking Japan Law Society dinner.

I am fascinated by how systems I am familiar with in England and the States work in other places. I am still kicking myself for not starting early enough to make contact with a women lawyer's group in Dar es Salaam. Their email didn't work and if I had had time to send a letter I might have learned a lot.

That could of course apply to other interests such as knitting, trains, cooking, birds, gymnastics or whatever.....

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveller over 50

Barabarapagesmith,

Could someone please tell me why people seem to be coming on the Solo Travel Forum who do not want to travel solo?

It really isn't the place to find a stranger to travel with.

Meeting up at a destination is one thing, travelling with a random is just plain crazy.

You are very unlikely to attract a sensible person, since a sensible person would not share a rooom/trip etc. with someone they didn't know.

Even travelling with someone you think you know can be a disaster.

It could be wonderful.

Or you could end up broke and crying in a hotel room with the bill unpaid and your passport and money missing.

I consider myself street smart; too street smart to hook up with someone I don't know and have no background for.

A tour is bad enough, but at least there are rules and a structure for the financial side.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveller over 50

Leagle: I'm with you on this. Solo means solo. But, I am curious why the board is getting so many of these posts lately.

7. Re: Solo traveller over 50

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 22:35
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveller over 50

Chris, I'm well over 50 and have traveled solo for years. I do stay in Hostels and I do stay in dorm room but with some provisos:

* I only stay at association hostels like YHA, HI etc. Their rules about noise and alcohol tend to keep the younger, noisier party crowd away.

*I will only stay in female only dorms.I have found over the years that I am never the oldest in the room.

I have found my 'dormies' whether they be in their twenties or their 70s are always friendly, welcoming and inclusive or at the very worst private and non-communicative. There's never been a real issue. In fact, my advanced years often mean that they feel sorry for me and give me the lower bunk!

There have always been enough activities and 'community' in hostels so that I always had the opportunity to spend a day or an evening in the company of others or by myself - my choice.

Many hostels have small bars and restaurants so you can 'eat in' if you prefer.

Communal kitchens are great places to start conversations while preparing your meal. For me this often ended up with the sharing of a meal and a bottle of wine with new friends.

While B&Bs and small hotels offer more privacy, it's much harder to meet people - so it depends on how gregarious you want to be.

If cost isn't an issue but sharing a room is, consider taking a private room in a hostel. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo traveller over 50

Barbara: I understand what you are saying, but the reason this forum was created was not to help members find travel companions or for group or tour travel. I'll post the link for the FAQ for this board below, as developed by TripAdvisor, not me. I'm sorry it does not fit your needs, but there are plenty of people in the local forum boards who can be helpful with your needs and for other needs, there is a Road Trips, Adventure Travel, and Bargain Travel forums, too.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k2413340…

10. Re: Solo traveller over 50

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 23:35