We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best place for me...

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The best place for me...

So I work full time and I also go to school full time. I'm a 25 year old guy. I'm really kind of tired and need a vacation. However I want to go somewhere were I could be left alone and kind of do my own thing. I want to go somewhere warm were I can just lay in the sun and chill. This trip would just be 3-4 days and I would be in Mid-May before summer classes start. I've never traveled solo, which is more what I'm worried about. Also I don't want to spend TOO much, so something east coast would be preferable

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best place for me...

Three to four days is a nice amount of time for your first solo trip. Anything can be fun and enjoyable for three or four days, so this will be a good way to "experiment" with a different travel style and see if you enjoy traveling solo rather than with friends or family or groups or whatever. I definitely prefer traveling solo. I always have. I get to go where I want to go, when I want to go, for how long I want to be there. It's more relaxing because you're not trying to read another person to determine if they're having fun, or are bored, or want to leave, or want to stay. Everything is within your control.

May is a great time to travel, especially if your goal is to be left alone and relax. Spring break is long over and schools have not yet let out allowing more family-oriented travel, so if you head beachward, things won't be overcrowded.

You want warmth and sun and solitude, within a reasonable budget. Florida would be the first place to come to mind. Key West might fit the bill perfectly. It's isolated. Warm. Beaches. Quiet bars. Not-so-quiet bars. Shouldn't be too expensive that time of year, since high season is over.

If that's too difficult to reach on your timeline, you could try somewhere on the Gulf Coast (Venice? Ft Myers?) or somewhere on the Atlantic Coast north of Miami (Cape Canaveral area?). Miami, or even Ft Lauderdale, won't give you the solitude you're asking for. I wouldn't really go much farther north on the East Coast, as the Carolinas might not be "lay out on the beach" weather in early to mid May. South Padre Island, Texas, would also be a possibility, but I'm guessing Florida air fare would be cheaper.

You want something more exotic? Cancun? May should be a slower interval there. Some folks might recommend an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean. It's not my style, but plenty of folks love it and some cater to young singles. But, again, heading toward the party and craving solitude are mutually exclusive goals.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best place for me...

I've been to Cancun and in May and I didnt really like it as much as I have going other times of the year. It seems May is a rainy season and even though I still got some good sun and had an overall good time, the fact that it poured every night put a small damper on it.

Key West might not be a bad spot but I was under the impression that Key West is towards the expensive side? What kind of weather would I expect in mid-May? Is it basically the same year round

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,070 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best place for me...

Key West is pricey. Why not go to Central America - short flight, beaches & lakes, low cost of living? I'm thinking El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala (Lake Atitlan is splendid), Honduras, Belize, or less touristy places in Mexico like Merida. You'll find lots of young expats and backpackers in local bars and internet cafes if you want to scare up some company, or can just lounge solo.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best place for me...

Well I'm only going for 3-4 days but it seems like the flights to CA would cost more then a whole trip to Key West. And I would wanna take a6-7 hour flight essentially a waste of a whole day

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best place for me...

for comparison sake, Key West, at like the Best Western is $1200 for flight and hotel. Miami, at the Marriot, $600. Big difference. But I'm not too sure I wanna go to Miami. Same climate though

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best place for me...

There's no guarantee of sunshine unless, maybe, you travel out here to Las Vegas and the Desert Southwest. But I've been to Florida in May and, generally, the weather has been perfect. Not too hot, but definitely beach-able. Play around with travel dates if you've got the flexibility and you might do better than the $1200 price tag for Key West.

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best place for me...

How about myrtle Beach South Carolina , the wether will be beautiful , it is shoulder season , so it should not be too pricey. Ft. Lauderdale, FL is warm and also low season. The beach is great, there's a younger crowd , lots of sports and easy to get to. Cheers,

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best place for me...

Yeah im starting to lean towards Ft. Laurderdale - Miami area. I am a little concerned about traveling solo though as ive never actually done that

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,547 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best place for me...

You could also look at the west coast of Florida, including islands like Sanibel.,

The beaches are perfection the water is warmer in the Gulf than in the Atlantic and Sanibel has a wide variety of places to stay.

There are other islands off the west coast which may be worth looking at as well, but the further south you are, the warmer it will be.

10. Re: The best place for me...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:16