We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

finding work/ travel buddies on the road??

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
finding work/ travel buddies on the road??

Heya

im an 18 year old girl and im sort of just starting to plan my gap year(s) for real after YEARS of fantasising an need a bit of advice. So firstly im thinking of travelling with a girlfriend for a bit but im not keen on spending all year with the same person so how easy is it to meet people on the road/ is it safe to find a travel buddy on the go??

im thinking of doing a little bit of europe (spain/denmark/scandinavia/eastern block) but budgets not huge so wont be there long. Thinking maybe south/central america maybe a little bit of south east asia. also i really want to be able to get work, maybe bars or cafes and am open to spending a few months somewhere, anyone know of places where its relatively safe for a girl to be travelling (potentially alone) and where i can get work!

Thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: finding work/ travel buddies on the road??

Staying in hostels is a great way to meet people and if you have a bit of flexibility, you can travel around with people you meet if you're interested in the same places.

In terms of working, you will need the correct working visa for each country to legally be allowed to do that. Sure, some places may be happy to have you work in a bar and pay you under the table but there can be massive consequences for you if caught.

Kampala
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: finding work/ travel buddies on the road??

Gdai mate,

Most countries require a work permit in order for you to get a job so u need to look into the working conditions of the countries you intend to visit.

Meeting travel buddies along the way can be fun but you never know when things will go bad because you hardly know the meet you meet anyway.

Australians are a little laid back and easy going you know but you must understand that other cultures may be the exact opposite. I would advise you to check in at the Australian embassy of every country you go to just as a safety measure and to get some advice on places to avoid.

Uganda is so far considered one of the friendliest countries in the world but I wonder if you have Africa on your list. The white people are politely called Mzungu a Swahili word to mean White person. People will be calling you Mzungu and waving at you and greeting you even at midnight. it is relatively safe but we still don't advise that you stay in some places on your own til late.

Permission to work in Uganda especially for a short while shouldn't be a hustle and Australia opened a Consulate here last year..

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: finding work/ travel buddies on the road??

Thanks so much both of you! i hadn't thought about visas for work at all, so good to know!

To be honest i hadn't really thought of africa at all, i think i just assumed it wouldn't be safe enough, but i might have another look into it.

Thanks

Pippa

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,454 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: finding work/ travel buddies on the road??

Don't forget you need jabs/malaria tablets for the countries you visit. Also visitor visa in many. Some are expensive.

And definitely don't forget insurance. Many countries that are lovely to visit don't do health & safety. If you are ill you will be on your own so you need to know you can afford treatment and be flown home.

Make sure you don't leave without thephone numbers & location of the embassy in each country. Keep copies of this with copies of your passport, tickets & any phone numbers for lost/stolen credit cards. Plan how and where you are going to get money (ie bank, ATM) at your destination if you are going to be away for some time.

So choose your country first, find out cost of travel and accommodation and do some research on the forums and reviews. You can find a list of forums on the left hand side of the page (mine is almost at the bottom) and click on All Forums - See all forums.

You can also do a search in the large box at the top or search a forum from the small box above the title.

5. Re: finding work/ travel buddies on the road??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 04:17