We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel Europe :)

3 posts
Save Topic
Solo travel Europe :)

Hey everyone, thinking of traveling to Europe in December for about 2 months, by myself or if anyone is down to come, just wondering if 10000- 12000 would be enough, I would like to stay in hostels and do some sight seeing, party abit as well lol never travelled solo, any tips??

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

10000- 12000 of what?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,456 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

Cora...I was wondering what currency too.

Markham.... can you advise, are you talking about Euro's, as that is the main currency for most ( but not all) of Europe. Does your stated budget include flights?

Europe is a vast diverse continent, and to provide you with relevant advice and tips, it would be helpful to have some information from you.

Are there any countries you specifically want to visit.. or specifically exclude.

Have you already booked accommodation for Christmas and New Year?

Are you planning to fly into one city, but fly home from another?

Please bear in mind this is not a "buddy finding" site, so if you are hoping to share costs with another solo traveller, you will need to research other sites and forums.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 18:39
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

If that is dollars, that is way more than necessary!

My recommendations are...

Research hostels on Hostelworld. There are som great places to stay in Western Europe. Not so many in Eastern Europe, but they are there. Just takes while to find them.

Go on adventure trips. DO some climbing, canyoing, kayaking on a 2 or 3 day trip. A great way to meet people.

Bring your smartphone. It is easier than finding a Web Cafe. And signup for solo travel apps like Wandermates.com or Enchante Travel.

Do a backpacker bus tour, e.g. Paddywagon. Again, great fun and a great way to meet people.

Bring good books! You may spend some time alone and need something for those long bus journeys.

Rm. Valcea
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

If you go in Europe you must to see Florence (Renaissance)Italy; the balkans area with Montenegro, Crotia, Romania (monasteries with Byzantine paintings, Horezu ceramics, traditional food, graves, skiing at Vidraru),Bulgaria,Macedonia; Greece.

In december is cold here in this part of Europe but in south of Europe is ok.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

On my point of view, no one "must see" anything on a trip. It all comes down to personal desires and circumstances.

Rm. Valcea
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

It is a figurative way when I say "must to see"... :)) But I am sure that you understand...:)

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

The Solo Travel Forum is a particularly bad place to ask about "must sees" as one of the major joys of solo travel is that a solo traveller can go to Rome and spend a week at the cat charity located in the Roman ruins and ignore the Colosseum if that is what pleases them. (I enjoyed both).

December and January are unpredictable for weather even in southern Europe and some tourist places close during the winter, so have a good look at one of the major guide books like the Lonely Planet Guides or the Rough Guides.

Although of course if you love skiing, it is a good time to come and you may want to visit more norther countries.

I agree about bringing books, but would suggest you bring them on an e-reader. You can bring hundreds of books for the weight of one book and the battery lasts weeks instead of the hours of a tablet computer or smart phone.

As for the money, if US dollars or pounds sterling or Euros, you are probably fine. If 10,000-12,000 yen, you might want to re-think.......

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

Australian dollars and is excluding flights but includes hostel and spending expenditure

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

I've been using wehostel on the iPhone, is a great app on finding places all over the world

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
23,021 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo travel Europe :)

Hello,

My first time on this forum, usually spend my time on the Singapore Destination Forum. I have travelled Solo for 30 years (just turned 50 this year).

Markram14 - European Hostels are excellent, especially the ones connected with HI (Hostelling International Association). I have used the Swiss and Austrian Hostels extensively over the years and they are super clean, generally quiet (apart from times when there are some slightly noisy school/sports group children staying), their locations are wonderful, free WIFI Internet, and the breakfast is great and the overall quality is outstanding. I always keep the Hostelling International website in my favourites and search and book online. Never had a problem, though sometimes they get full so it helps to book ahead if you can. Most even have a book-ahead scheme where the staff at Reception of the hostel you are at can book your next hostel for you.

I hope you have a HI Member Card to get 10% off hostels.

There are also websites like HostelWorld, or HostelBookers that also list independent hostels. Some quieter, some more party oriented.

Since you are travelling this December I would organise a loose itinerary and make a few Hostel bookings within the next few months. I generally book the first couple of weeks accommodation to get settled and know I have a roof over my head, then keep things open and stop off wherever along the train journey that looks interesting.

If you get stuck somewhere, Tourist offices in most towns/cities have an accommodation booking service (sometimes free, sometimes a few Euro fee). They have access to lists of Bed and Breakfasts, Hotels, Guesthouses, PrivatZimmer (Private rooms in homes where you get a comfortable, cosy room, breakfast and meet a local - often its an older lady on her own with a few rooms available in her home, or it could be a young family). These are very good value.

Do your research here on Tripadvisor on each country you want to visit in Europe. Each country Forum will offer you a lot of valuable information.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time on your trip.

Get answers to your questions