We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

Hants, UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

I have a job interview soon. If I get it, there will be about a 2 month break before my old job finishing and this one starting so I was thinking of maybe doing a bit of travelling. It's something I've wanted to do for ages but never done due to work, lack of finances etc so this could be the perfect time to do it. However I have no idea what's possible in that time scale or where to start so thought I'd ask here.

Time of year is June - August ish

Budget - about £2000

I don't really speak languages other than English (did German gcse but that was a while ago).

Places on my bucket list are Las Vegas, San Francisco, Vancouver, Greece, Rome and Budapest if that helps.

ETA - I get really seasick so no boat based suggestions apart from a short ferry hop please!

Edited: 08 April 2013, 02:11
Hants, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

My first though was California coastline and Vegas. Is that possible on my budget?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

Being honest, from what I can tell say, is that on your budget for two months is really going to be a tough call and you will need to stretch your imagination here. However, with that said it is not impossible; you just need to tap into your creative juices.

Your biggest outlay is obviously the flight, (outside of Europe) next to this is accommodation with a £2k budget you are looking at an outlay of £250 per week, travel, meals and accommodation included, which is nothing in Europe. Also it would be better to travel earlier than later, because the closer you get to August is when all the prices are at peak season, basically you need to avoid travelling anywhere near school holidays.

Ideally, if it was feasible I would suggest deferring your break until later in the year and go to somewhere like SE Asia where your budget can definitely take you through the full two months.

However if that doesn’t work for you - to make your budget stretch there are many things at your disposal, for example you could always visit old friends and family overseas. You know the ones who always say, please come a visit when you are in town, city or country old work, college or university colleagues. Once you start looking you will find it’s a very large world out there and if you could only stay for five days well that’s five days accommodation covered. In fact you only need to find five friends in the Americas, hoping they are not scattered on the five furthest points across the US.

A few years ago, in Australia for work, I visited a Lithuanian friend who I knew from when I was in Germany, studying in Australia; she said I was the only person to have visited in all the time she had been there in Australia in four years. Imagine a place like Australia I would have thought she would have been inundated. The moral of the story is it is always nice to visit.

One final thing is I would say places on your “wish list” rather than a “bucket list” as this tends to imply that this is final. You are in your 30s, and not kicking the bucket anytime soon, you are young, there are plenty of people out there who are just starting their first gap years aged 50 plus.

Apart from that good luck with the planning read up and plan carefuly.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

USA is not so cheap to travel. With the current situation in Greece you may get good deals there and you can combine it with other eastern european countries.

South East Asia and South America also offer holidays very cheap. Cost of living is cheap there so you can get buy with a few dollars a day.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

Hello!

Just an idea...

I would get a cheap flight to Greece and bargain a cheap, clean and tidy room to let whit basic cooking facilities for 2 to 4 weeks. Maybe starting on a large island such as Crete or Rhodes, or even Corfu or Naxos. Then as ferries are not your best, I would fly to mainland and a)either follow same strategy aka arrange long stays in one or two places or b) travel around staying in campsides, small B&B hotels and rooms to let.

High season here is middle July till end of August. It is better to visit islands on low season, although to be honest, high season applies to mainland too. The case is, although very busy, there are places on mainland outside sea side resorts, that welcome visitors all year around, for example places near archeological sites or known for nature and scenery etc (say Delphi, Nafplion, Pelion, Meteora...) so are not dead busy/expensive. This is an exception, but for some mountain resorts such as say Arahova, summer is even "off" season.

Side Notes: A room to let can cost as low as 15-20 euro/person per night depending on season, island, location. The longer the stay, usually you can bargain a lower rate.

If you are lucky, you may find some bargain flight rates offered by Aegean and Olympic Air to/from Athens or Thessaloniki from/to islands. Sometimes air fares are as low as a ferry ticket. You have to book far in advance, as soon as those air tickets appear because they go fast.

If you self cater, you can save considerable ammounts of money. For example a pasta dish in a tavern can cost 5-8 euro while if you shop and cook, lower than 1 euro.

You do not mention your interests, but coming all the way, I think it is important try to visit a site or do an activity or excursion here and there. Athens Acropolis site costs 14 euro and allows admission to 5 surrounding sites too. Athens Acropolis Museum ticket cost 5 euro. Minor or less visited sites on islands or whatever have an admission too, at least 2 euro. On some of the islands there are many boat excursions to near by islands/islets or secluded beaches etc, starting by 20 euro/person.

If finances do not work, I would cut 2-3 weeks of the trip and enjoy more indepth my destination. Just my opinion of course.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

Marihan, kalispera!

Would you be able to advise what the current economic problems in Greece would mean for the prices in the touristic sector but also like going out for dinner or buying groceries?

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

Some bargains on hotels especially on shoulder season, but not much change otherwise...

VAT on food items and restaurants have increase from 9% to 23% (!!!) and most buisiness try to absoarb this tax and not to increase prices by making a very limited profit-if any... Obviously no chance to drop prices either...

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

Well you might get deals anyway.

For sure Greece is a country to visit!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

You may want to read this blog for a generic overview of the situation

…visitgreece.gr/why-you-should-visit-greece-…

9. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 22:48
10. Re: Where to travel for 2 months, solo female, 30s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2013, 20:16