We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

Hi everyone!

I'm currently on the look-out for a good, reasonably priced destination for a solo traveller. To give an idea of who I am and the sort of thing I'm after: I'm 28; female; fairly well-travelled though only in Western Europe (so far!); I like both natural and historical sights and monuments as well as walking around to see such things; on this occasion I am looking for a sunny, beachy holiday somewhere that won't require too much effort to get to and experience. I'll be looking to meet new people so good youth hostels or similar environs would be preferred.

I have been thinking about Australia, Goa or the Canary Islands - does anyone have any thoughts on these, or indeed new suggestions, in light of my criteria? I am flexible regarding time of year as I am only in the initial stages of planning; my budget should ideally not exceed £1,000 - and obviously the more I can shave off that number, the better!

If any of you have specific experiences of some sunny destinations with that youth hostel/friendly vibe, please share. :)

Thanks!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

Hello! How long this trip will be? I might be completely wrong, but I believe £1,000 is somehow limited for places like Australia, as a good part of it will be spent on flights.

Not sure if you've been in Greece or Italy but there are tons of natural and historical sights and monuments and Mayy-early October in general are great for a sunny, beachy holiday . Possible to get through for 10-14 days on your dates if you plan carefully, flights included.Or what about North African countries where your budget will go even further? I believe Egypt or Tunisia fit the bill...

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,900 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

SuaSwe

As you are prepared to consider Australia and Goa.. I'd suggest Bali or Thailand.

Both quite different, and have a huge variety of accommodation, activities, beaches and cultural sights.

Although airfares may be higher than the Canaries, the actual living costs are very affordable. What you do need to factor in, is the weather, especially in Thailand, as there are different weather patterns for the mainland and islands.

In Bali, I'd suggest spending time both in the coastal towns ( including the lesser visited north) and a few days in Ubud... stunning!!!!

If this may interest you, and as you are from the UK, I'd suggest haunting the websites of reputable travel companies like Travelbag, Trailfinders and to an extent Kuoni. You don't have to book of course, but they do provide a good summary of prices, accommodation types, and activities.

However, before you get tempted to book anything, I'd urge you to look at the destination forums here on Tripadviser, for reviews and comments by other travellers, and get some reliable travel guides ( Lonely Planet, Rough Guides etc) whether borrowed from your local library, or bought from an Oxfam bookshop .

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,722 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

£1000 is not so much for sunshine. Australia is expensive with the exchange rate, I know, I'm watching it and hoping. The Canaries too cna be pricey.

Egypt if you are wanting guaranteed sun but it is resort orientated. Beyond that the prices rise. Cheapest mid summer when it is blistering or 1st 2 weeks in December and 1st week in Jan when the temp is better.

Greece & Cyprus are the best value for money at the moment. There are some good deals for the Balearics which can be lovely if you get away from the main hot spots.

Also Malta. Lovely island with beaches, culture and smaller islands to visit.

For something different what about the Azores

Edited: 11 May 2013, 22:37
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

i have been to goa many times as i grew up in India. as a single woman in goa, all the guys will be chasing you nonstop.

this is true of most parts of india, but goa is a state where alcohol is cheap and the people are friendly.you alsohave undesirable tourists of the low quality enjoying the greatest beaches i have ever been to. goa has great food, a friendly culture, is cheap and fun. only way to keep guys off is to wear a ring or travel in a group. they all will try their luck to see if you are interested ina boyfriend or marrige or just fun.

It's not unsafe as such, but precautions need to be taken and stay away from the guys at night.

I can recommend Ko Samui in thailand as a very ultra safe destination for women and nobody will bother you for the most part except western guys who want to have fun. you can rent a easy to ride scooter, stay on the beach and get daily cheap massages on the ocean front and live cheaper if you pick the non tourist beaches or visit offseason. you can get a room for $20 a day or maybe less if you don't want airconditioning and a pool. you can eat incredible food in small places for cheap $3-5 a meal

fly into BKK early morning and connect to ko samui (1 hour flight) its got the cutest airport in the world and its a small island. if you want a bigger more expensive island go to phuket.

spend the last day in Bangkok shopping at the weekend market and the many malls before heading back home don't shop first or you ahve to haul bags to the islands or pay for storage. shopping is cheaper in BKK, buy everything for the holiday in Bangkok if possible. you can even take the train to one of the malls from the airport and connect to the skytrain.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

Thanks everyone, this has given me some food for thought! I'm still into the idea of Australia as it's a bit of a dream destination for me, so might try for a less "inspiring" holiday (e.g. somewhere in Europe) this year and save up for an Aussie holiday next year. :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

Cuba in low season, may, june, sept, oct. Many all inclusive resorts do not charge single supplement. It's a great way to keep within budget, the beaches are second to none and the people are wonderful. Many British to keep you company too!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,600 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

Vietnam is wonderful for solo travelers, and the price is considerably less than than of Australia. I've successfully completed 5 solo trips to this area, and now consider it to be like a second home. The Vietnamese are extremely outgoing, are eager to improve their English, and it's quite safe (except for the roads). In 3 locations, university student groups give free tours to travelers in exchange for English practice - such a deal, and these students make excellent new friends (Hanoikids, Danangkids and Saigonhotpot). I suggest off-season travel (Spring and late Fall).

Mumbai
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

Hello,

if budget is your criteria ,

you should be headed straight to Goa, its a beautiful place, loads & loads of staying options, if u happen to travel here in monsoon u will get hotels & stays very cheap.

goa is a wonderful destination, beaches , back waters , a little bid of wildlife & the ever positive vibe in the air.

Amit

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

I agree with Sarah C's recommendation of Cuba in the low season. I've travelled there solo myself (to Cayo Coco) and met many new friends as a result. While it's considered low season for us Canadians, for the Brits it's when many of your carriers start regular service! Plus, as Sarah C mentioned, most if not all the resorts don't charge an additional single supplement during hurricane season in Cuba (May-November).

I've also done Australia solo and it was a blast!!!! However, given your mentioned budget for this trip, I would put Oz off for now and save up some extra money for a trip there in the future. Australia can be expensive to visit! But, have no fears travelling there as a solo female - I spent a year there and it was the BEST year of my life, hands down! If you ever have questions about Australia and travelling solo there, feel free to msg me! :)

~ martinigoddess

10. Re: Sunny destinations for the solo traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 07:17