We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crete or mykonos

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
crete or mykonos

Hi,

I'm a 29 year old female considering going on a holiday by myself for the first time. Both Crete and Mykonos are possibilities in terms of price, travel time, etc. I'm interested in being close to a beach, but perhaps within walking distance of a town. I would also like the possibility of day trips/activities. Would anyone have advice on whether Crete or Mykonos would be more suitable. Any tips on towns/hotels would also be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,365 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crete or mykonos

Can't compare as I've not been to Crete but Mykonos is very nice little place to visit, lots of restaurants, cafes and places to just kill time. Being quite tiny, its easy to walk around and navigate your way around as well. You can take some additional day trips to islands like Delos as well, it is a good way to spend 1/2 a day.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crete or mykonos

You may want to check greeka.com or greek-islands.us for some general pointers, and of course relared forums here in TA,but to be honest, you try to compare two completely different places.

Crete covers a wide 8.336 km2 (3.219 sq mi) territory while Mykonos is tiny by comparison -105,2 km2 (40,6 sq mi) When you plan to go and what kind of activities you have in mind? Are you willing to hire a car?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crete or mykonos

Depends when you go. I know both really well. Mykonos in August is a bit too busy and Crete you can escape everyone and is def more authentic and friendlier. If you want lively times and lots of social, then Mykonos might be better.

My view is Crete is the only island with nearly everything, though lively night life is not as good as Myk.

4. Re: crete or mykonos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:16