We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing a backpack

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,736 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Packing a backpack

OK so I've decided to try a backpack as I want to visit destinations closer to home for short hols . Don't want to haul my case on and off unfamiliar public transport, in and out of loos, trying to carry food at airports with case in tow. I find it difficult and a worry.

I can choose a lovely comfortable largish back pack or not quite so comfortable smaller wheeled one. I'm torn as both have benefits. Any thoughts?

Destinations considered Southern Spain, Granada, Barcelona, Italy Amalfi Coast (Pompeii, Herculanium & Capri) Menorca, Majorca maybe Istanbul.all will involve a fair bit of walking. No shopping or nightclubs.

Also I am adept at packing lightish ie decant things into small bottles/use sachets, lightweight clothes - but wonder if there are any hints or tips anyone has?

My concerns are ~ I will be crumpled and creased......should I take my small hairstyler......I live in flipflops & trainers and a pair to go with a dress but should I take sensible sandals?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing a backpack

Sue, you might actually try posting this in the Travel Gear and Gadgets forum.

Also, I would be mightily surprised if there weren't several dozen videos on how to pack a backpack well.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,736 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing a backpack

Ummm, really hadn't thought of YouTube Laura. I'll give it a try. Also wondered about Bargain Travel & TGG.

Just hoping there are some tricks I hadn't thought of. Can't do the bloke thing with just a change of clothes - though I've seen it work really well. Still he didn't need a hair dryer or a dress/handbag :-)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing a backpack

I found you-tube videos to be a help when I bought my new backpacking pack last year. They had a video on how to pack my specific model, and where the weight should be, and how to utilize all the pockets (some of which were secret interior pockets and unknown to me).

Travel gadgets and gear get their fair share of packing/backpack queries.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing a backpack

Sue... I do a mixture of short city breaks and longer trips, so I use a variety of bags.

If I am doing a city trip, I pack less, but stick to a small wheeled suitcase that complies with the airlines hand luggage weight/dimensions rules. Reason being, I hate crumpled clothes, so in a case I can flat pack things, and it stops me from overpacking! The wheels make it easier for me to transport the bag, and there are no loose straps to get caught up on conveyor belts etc.

For longer trips, I pack a larger wheeled suit care and a backpack.

I use the backpack on the plane, which has a spare change of clothes (in case the suitcase goes atray!!) and for items I don't want to put in my case, like camera, money, kindle etc. I then use the backpack for side trips while I'm on longer trips.

I don't use a wheeled backpack, as I've found them very uncomfortable to carry, the padding is thinner and the handles aren't long enough. As my side trips are only about 2 nights, I pack very little, and take sachets of shampoo/conditioner/face wipe etc to cut down on weight. Whatever clothes I take, I try to pack things that don't crumple easily, lay them all out on top of each other, and then roll them into a bundle. before packing them in the backpack.

A suggestion... if you are going to buy a new bag ( whatever type), take a few bags of shopping with you, and see if they will fit into the bag, and that it is stable and comfortable. You may get some odd looks though!

Hairdryer.. I use hotel hairdryer, but take lightweight styling tongs.

Shoes... that's a hard one! Flipflops for beach holidays, strapped walking sandals for city breaks ,and at least one (or maybe two!!) pair of low heeled sparkly sandals for evenings. Winter trips.. Uggs for the journey and I pack flat heeled leather boots.I stuff the boots with clothes to save space.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 10:35
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing a backpack

Looking at your list again, I've done Barcelona, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Herculaneum and Capri.

There was a lot of walking, but I have always relied on my trusty wheeled 22 inch suitcase. I roll clothes so they don't wrinkle. I don't overpack. I favor technical shirts that are lightweight, have inner pockets for a credit card/id, and look nice enough for a restaurant. They wash and dry quickly too.

In fact last summer I went swimming while wearing my tech shirt and tech shorts. I wore clothes in the water because I knew there was no place to change, (although I did extricate my bra while clothed) and Rainbow Falls has a fair amount of people. Shirt dried while I was wearing it in under ten minutes.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,736 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing a backpack

Thank you both. Suggestions I hadn't thought of.

I did think the wheeled backpack wasn't so comfortable but seemed like such a good idea. I'm sure I could cobble together a lightweight set of wheels to stow and use when necessary. I hadn't thought of the bulk rolling, that sounds good. The extra shoes is a woman thing, especially as I have just had an op that means I have my first ever sparkly sandals.

What are these 'technical shirts' Laura? Sound really useful. That a bikini and pair of shorts sounds like it could do for all sorts. Especially as I am worried about pickpockets without a second body to watch out.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing a backpack

Sue.. I had a wheeled backpack.. blooming useless! Glad to hear that you're now able to wear sparkly sandals! You made me have another think.. if I'm on a short side trip in a hot country, I only ever wear /pack bikini's.. saves packing, more comfortable and wash and dry very quickly.I actually read this tip from a poster on the Air Travel forum, but have followed the advice.

Laura... also never heard of tech shirts. Do you only get them in the US? .

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,736 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing a backpack

Excellent thinking Mcp. I've always taken one since missing an opportunity to float down a river on a current because I couldn't change quickly enough (another story) but not a quick drying one. Will be on the lookout now.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing a backpack

Sue... As we speak I have just finished packing for a trip. I'm taking both a wheeled suit case and my favourite backpack! Although the backpack doesn't have wheels, it does have plenty of zipped sections, including a hidden secure section for cash/mobile.

I'm going self catering, so I'll use the backpack for shopping. This cuts out using plastic carrier bags and is my small way of reducing plastic pollution. Now... about your river trip... surely that merits a JBR??

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing a backpack

I have seen tech shirts in the U.S. and the U.K.

Here's one in the UK...fast drying, lightweight, non-wrinkle...

decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-400-shirt-id_8240011…

And another...you'll have to hover the mouse over the lower left of the shirt to see the tiny zippered pocket--perfect for a credit card or a key.

cotswoldoutdoor.com/…

I know these are expensive, but the one I have is already 7 years old, is moisture wicking, fast drying, never wrinkles, and if I lost it tomorrow I would buy two more.

Not crazy about the colors this year.....

Get answers to your questions