We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling as a group of three

Farnborough
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling as a group of three

I know this isn't strictly "Solo Travel" but we seem to have an insurmountable problem.

Our brother in law was sadly widowed earlier this year. Prior to his bereavement we often holidayed as a foursome. With being able to book two double rooms and flights for four there was never any problem. We now find, however, that holiday companies are just not interested in the need for catering for a couple plus a single. We have even considered booking and paying for a package with two double rooms but they will not accept a booking for only three flight bookings.

Has anyone any ideas please?

Essex
Level Contributor
29,115 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling as a group of three

Sadly, "packages" are not often geared for the solo traveller.

There is nothing to stop you from booking flights and accommodation for yourselves, though!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,368 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling as a group of three

Just stop using those packages!

It is just as easy to book yourself!

I go on my own all the time and just book flight and hotel for one person.

Farnborough
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling as a group of three

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that most, if not all, hotels charge hefty "single" supplements.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,388 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling as a group of three

It's crazy isn't it Fernhill. It's a problem we come across all the time. Just trying to find single rooms available, some companies don't want to know but just flag up unavailable so you keep trying.

The only answer is to book the hotel and flights/transfers seperately. You may find it's cheaper. I believe this can be covered by ATOL now. Best to check the right way to go about it.

Or have you tried and independent travel agent? They may be more accommodating.

Where are you holidaying? What sort of holiday? That info my help us determine a course of action.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling as a group of three

" The problem is that most, if not all, hotels charge hefty "single" supplements."

You must be traveling to the wrong countries or using an inappropriate type of accommodation. For instance in Thailand they sell you a room and do not care if one or two people actually stay in the room. However, if the rate includes breakfast, the hotel may offer a single occupancy rate which is slightly cheaper because there is only one breakfast included, but definitely there is no extra charge for a single.

I would also be surprised if a guesthouse anywhere would charge extra for single occupancy, and guesthouses can be very pleasant places to stay although they lack hotel amenities like room service or a gym.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,388 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling as a group of three

But that is specific to some countries Goodsoil, Australia & the US charge by the room mostly.

Many others in Europe or where the mass market is European charge a single supplement for one occupant.

And with companies like Thompsons/First Choice they charge that single supplement for the days you are on the plane. That really annoys me.

It's why I asked Fernhill where they were wanting to travel. There is sometimes a way round it.

Farnborough
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling as a group of three

Thanks. We're looking within Europe, somewhere warm. I really do feel that this is a form of discrimination. The "supplements" that are levied are far too high to warrant the claim that it costs the same to service a single room as a double. Quite simply few, if any hotels, have single specific rooms. When they do they are usually in some grotty back corridor somewhere; overlooking the rubbish bins or similar.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,714 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling as a group of three

To be fair, I've stayed in many hotels and resorts in Europe and never paid a single supplement. True, these are not all-inclusive resorts, but they are mainly geared to business travel, or business travel chains (Marriott, Hilton, for example). Last year I planned a trip to Barcelona and stayed very close to the beach area. The Hilton even upgraded me to a suite. I paid for a single room, which I booked through the Hilton website. Cheers!

Farnborough
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling as a group of three

With respect, your spending power is - if you stay in such hotels as the Hilton - considerably more than ours. The Hilton prices which I have just looked at on line are even higher than the prices elsewhere including a single supplement. But then I notice you're from the USA.

A "no brainer" I'm afraid.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,388 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling as a group of three

I was afraid you would say Europe when it's warm as that is prime tourist season so bargains harder to come by.

I'm probably in the same price bracket as you. I use Venere for finding hotels to suit my budget, location and taste. posting in the dates for 2 then 1 should show you whether there is a single supplement

www.venere.com/italy/sorrento/?ref=31429

Then check the reviews on TA of the ones that are in my price range to find details. You can pick out solo reviews which will give insight into single rooms or PM someone who's been there.

If you want to find public transport or attractions in the area Tripomatic is useful.There are plenty of flights to Europe so that's not a problem.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 10:56