We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Male in Central Europe

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Solo Male in Central Europe

Hi, I am a 22 year old male planning my first solo trip to Europe and I was looking for some suggestions about my itinerie as well as any tips people could give about my trip. I'm a little nervous about traveling on my own for the first time about getting bored in the evenings since I'm on my own, as well as getting lost and having nobody to help me. I am interested in history, culture, old towns and natural environments. I have budgeted for this trip around £1700 but it is slightly flexible.

Netherlands: Amsterdam 3 Days, possibly another city for 1 day

Czech Rep: Prague 3 Days

Poland: Krakow, Auschwitz 2 Days

Hungary: Budapest 2 Days

Austria: Vienna 2 Days

Slovenia: Ljubljana, Piran, Lake Bled 4 Days

Croatia: Dubrovnik, Zadar, Plitvice 4 Days

I am buying a 10 day Interrail pass, and using the passholder discount to get Eurostar from London to Brussels because I am booking this holiday late, and then train from Brussels to Amsterdam. I am flying back from Dubrovnik. The only tour I am thinking of getting is a tour of Plitvice.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 11:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

I forgot to add that I will be staying in hostels for the whole trip.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,902 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

There is some advice and experience in this thread Adam

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k57537…

What sort of things do you like to do? Think of some things, like a journal or cards to keep you occupied in the evening or sit outside in a cafe/bar and people watch. You could even write it down, the difference from home would be interesting. Any events on in the cities?

As soon as you have something to do you are likely to find people to chat to.

Branford...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

I am going to be traveling alone in Europe for the first time as well. I'm going to be in Amsterdam and Budapest. When are you going?

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

Spot on mate, nice places and you should be able to get away quite cheaply. Enjoy it.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

A warm Welcome to all new members!!!

I think some people have not understand exactly what this forum is about. It is about advice on solo travelling, not about finding a companion. Solo travel is prefered method of travel for many people and not a situation someone has to "endure" due to circumstances.

That said, I appreciate that some people might not be sure about solo travel, or tried it and not feel comfortable about it after all. I respect this, but this not the appropriate forum to exchange more personal info, arrange to meet up or trying to find a travel companion

Thus, please if you are interested to start "chatting" with someone, there is a PM (Private Messaging) function available. Click on the screen name found below member's avatar and you'll get to member's profile page. On the left column above ratings reviews etc there is an option "Send a message" . You click, compose and send whatever you want to send without other people seen it.

I find some recent posts on the public forum rather irrelevant.

I hope you receive my comment on the good hearted/well meant tone I wrote it .

Please all of you stay with us and explore solo forums and TA forums in general. You may start by researching past threads by putting related key words on search box above post title here. There is a wealth of info and opinions on various topics, and many people willing to offer advice.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 19:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

Thanks for your replies

@suebovington Thanks that thread was helpful. Yes, I do like people watching and writing, and I would perhaps keep a journal, however, it would be difficult to keep me occupied with those things every evening. In terms of events, I haven't really had time to look them up, but I am assuming many of the hostels will have people to talk to, events etc.

@Leisa0816 Sorry, like mariha2912 said, I wasn't really looking to meet with anyone.

@Spencer M Thanks, that is helpful, can I ask have you taken a similar trip?

@mariha2912 Apologies if I have posted something incorrectly but I wasn't looking for meeting up with anyone, I was looking for suggestions on my itinerary and things to do to keep me occupied as a solo traveler.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

It's a great program!

You need one full day for Auschwitz, as it's quite far from Krakow (80 km). You might need 1 1/2 day in Krakow if you go to the Salt Mines, and may be 2 1/2 day in Budapest as there's a lot to see.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

I know adam,I was referring to post #3 :)

Unfortunately although all your destinations are high on my "to visit" list, I have only been on Krakow area. You may try to add a couple of nights there if you want to explore town at leisure...

Auscwitz-Birkenau is a long side trip and very emotional, mainly getting there (~60 kms I think?), spending time on queues if on busy season, exploring the campsites (~3 kms one from the other), go back to Krakow, taking your time to reflect on and recover from the experience...one full day is gone.

An other popular side trip, on a different spirit, is Wieliczka Salt Mines... This is a quicker, maybe half day trip.

You mention you like history, culture, old towns , so I think you may spend at least a couple of days in Krakow before getting bored. Many Polish cities were bombarded during WW2 and their old towns were left in ruins. Krakow is not one of them. Given the fact that for centuries this city was the seat of medieval kings, there is awesome architecture and interesting churches,palaces and museums to be visited. WW2 and Jewish heritage play a significant role on Krakow too, you may check Jewish quarters or even visit Schindler's Factory. There are walking tours especially in summer (I visited on winter) and I believe this is a good way to learn a lot and socialize.

I believe that in terms of safety you are absolutely fine in Krakow, you'll meet troubles only if you go looking for them. Usual precautions apply. I did not felt bored. I visited tons of sights, I walked and walked day and night and took photos, and at times sat on a bench reading my book, I went for lunch, dinner and a couple of beers, I enjoyed practicing my limited Polish and ended up making conversations with people using a mix of Polish, Greek, English and most importantly gestures ...I think pattern will not vary a lot on your other destinations either...

I am female, ok, 10 years older than you and a tad bit more experienced traveler, but still... if I made it, I do not see why not you making it too? :)

PS: "In your pocket" are city guides in English available on the spot in many parts of Europe. They contain some background info on the city, but most importantly, list bars, restaurants, theaters and events. They have website too, here is the one for Krakow : http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/krakow

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

There is a difference between looking for a travel companion and meeting other solo travellers for the occasional coffee, lunch or dinner or a bit of shared sightseeing.

Looking for a travel companion on a public forum is beyond foolish and not appropriate for this or any other TA forum but, with respect to mariha, meeting up with fellow solo travellers can be a delight of solo travel and so much easier than if you each have others to consider.

If you see that someone will be in the same place at the same time as you will and from the tone of their posts, you think you would enjoy meeting each other, send a private message to them.

I have had some great experiences that way with both fellow visitors and locals. (Post on the destination forums as well as the solo forum)

I don't feel it compromises my commitment to solo travel.

Use the private message function to make arrangements. Never publish your email address on a public forum unless you want lots of emails offering to share an inheritance in Nigeria with you or make changes to your anatomy.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Male in Central Europe

Meeting other travelers is not my priority, I am mostly interesting socializing with locals, but I have meet other travelers occasionally, solo or not while on a trip and did what you describe Leagle. I understand this might be more important aspect on a trip for someone else.

So I absolutely understand what you mean and nothing wrong with that. My point was that a travelers forum is not exactly the same as a chat room and definitely not a place posting "adds' seeking new acquaintances. : )